2 months up and running

cravinmohead22

Reefing newb
aquarium001.JPG

aquarium002.JPG

47lbs. live rock, 60lbs. live sand, coral beauty, lawnmower blenny, 2 clowns, and a frogspawn my buddy gave me added yesterday night.

Last edited:
Is that a frogspawn or a torch? It's kinda hard to tell from the pic, but it could be a torch too. Either way, they're in the same family (Euphyllia) and have the same needs/requirements. But it's looking really good, good job saving it!

Nice start and nice coral.I recommend a little more live rock(just a suggestion).

thank reef and im not adding anything else untill i get more rock. that brings up up a good question. now that my tank is cycled, how much cured live rock can i add at a time before it starts a mini cycle? i would like to do 10lbs. at a time.

yeah i got it. im losing fish like its my job and cant figure out why. just lost my lawnmower blenny. last night he was all over the tank eating everything and couldnt find him this morning. went in searching for him and found him dead in a rock. my water couldnt be better and i bought a copper test and it was negative. hopping that i just got a bad couple of fish.

Have your water double checked at your LFS. You could have a bad test kit. Make sure your salinity and temperature are right too -- get your salinity double checked.

Let your system settle for another month or so before adding any other fish. then just one fish at a time and wait between additions for the bacteria bed to catch up with the bio load. good luck. keep us posted.

jhnrb is a smart man that gives good advice. Go light on additions and takeyour time. Bio systems take a long time to mature properly. Some tanks without adequate live rock and/or deep sand beds never obtain a fully mature bio system. They tend to have repetive problems with high nitrate levels, and spikes in ammonia and nitrites after additions of a large number of fish, coral or after accidents like dropping a full container of food in the tank and only being able to remove a small portion of it. A fully mature biologiacl system will take these occurances in stride without any noticeable water parameter changes, except ussually a lowering of dissolved oxygen for a while, and some lowering of pH. Bacteria go through massive amounts of oxygen when given massive amounts of food.

Last edited:
That is the kind of vocabulary the second wife had. She was always inventing words that made sense, but that were in no dictionary. She was from Kirkland Ohio, where the river burned.

Back