2 questions about setup

MamaJones

proud reefer!
so, we ordered live sand...should be in a few days. we ordered several kinds wanting to layer the sand so the pink is on top.

currently we have freshwater running through our new 90 with sump and everything working.

1. do we make saltwater in the tank and then add the sand...or add the sand and then make 5 gallons of sw at a time and transfer them?
I've been reading the articles but I'm unsure about the order..one book says water then sand, but has a side note about about live sand.

when putting the pump and sump together. joe used dawn as a lubricate for the tubing. the sump is full of bubbles and it's been running for 5 days.

2. are the bubbles soap or just bubbles the sump makes? (they totally look like soap bubbles to me, but joe says the soap is gone.) but we haven't changed the water and things don't just disappear. if they are soap bubbles, how do we get it out?

ya'll are great!:bowdown:

1) add water and salt. (some people may say not to mix it in your tank, but if theres nothing in there I dont see the harm in it) Let your salt mix for at least about half a day. Add your rock and aquascape it, then add your sand.

2)ummm its probably soap......even though dawn is mild I wouldnt put any type of soap in or near my system... Give it a couple days.. If its soup it should reduce a little bit. If its the sump it will be the same or at least close to it. Tell him not to use soap anymore >.<

Personally Cgoodman, I would change the order.

1.) Remove all the freshwater & soap.
2.) Clean any residual out with water & a towel.
3.) Mix your water & salt (outside the tank).
4.) Add your sand with a few gallons of water (just enough to cover the sand bed). If you have too much water, the sand will just become floating particulate and end up taking a ride down to the sump, skimmer, etc. This could really mess up your pumps & skimmer.
5.) Add your rocks and aquascape. You should have your base rock into the sand a bit (not just laying on top of it).
6.) Add your full 90g + sump water making sure it doesn't splash the sand. You can pump the water in over the rockwork to disperse the flow. The less suspended sand in the tank, the better.

You will undoubtedly have a cycle, so you should keep an eye on the tank for a while before adding livestock.

Good Luck! I am jealous of your 90g!!!!!!

Well yea, my #1 was assuming a regular system, with no soap lol

Like I said people will say to mix the salt out of the system, but you could just throw it in the sump. A lot of what I read/heard was to add the rock then sand as to have a more stable rock base because depending on your sand bed depth it can be difficult to just push the rock down.

As for the sand floating around and damaging the pump/skimmer.... Just turn em off....

Never mix your salt in the tank!!! You need to mix in some sort of 5 gallon container, 2 1/2 cups for 5 gallons. Shake the crap out of it, mix it up really good then poor it in the tank.

IF YOU MIX THE SALT IN THE TANK THE WATER WILL BE REALLY MURKY FOR A FEW DAYS AND ITS HARD TO GET ALL THE SALT MIXED UP.

As for the soap, I dont know why anyone would use soap, Just use viniger to clean everything. You probally need to drain the tank and sump wash everything out really good with fresh water,put it back in the sump and put everything back together. Get you some of those jugs of water like the abati man sells, or wallmart has a machine has them. Go to your local lfs and get ro/di water from them, put a few gallons in the tank about half full, then add your sand, get a plate and have someone hold the plate at the water line and finish filling.

Im sorry, but what kind of IDIOT puts soap in a tank?

A reply like this isn't constructive or necessary... if you don't have any useful input keep it to yourself.

On that note, the comments above thus far are accurate. Soap is not by any means something you want in your system. The best bet would be to rinse the tank extremely well a few times and towel dry. Simple yet effective, good luck!

thanks for all the input. we'll rinse and rinse and wash with vinegar and rinse.
I know rodi water is suppose to be best, but we have really good tap water here and with a few conditioners it's even better. Any harm in not hauling 90g of water around town? or any suggestions as to get Rodi water here?
we'll add some water, then layer the sand, then add the rest of the water. we haven't gotten our live rock yet, since it's so $$ but next paycheck we will.

you can always invest in a good rodi unit to make the water in your house, i think biff got a 100gpd for like 100 bucks shipped, and it would cost you that much just to fill your tank to begin with so its a great investment

Kosmo and the others gave gone advice about rinsing out the system of soap.Next time,use tapwater as a lubricate or soften the hose with very,very hot water which helps it slip over barb fittings easier.

However,I disagree with using the tank to mix salt.I've always mixed the salt and water in the display.After 24-48hrs and after the salinity is set,I put the sand in and wait another 24hrs at least before adding liverock.It's not necessary,I just don't want to blow the sand dust off the rocks.

When 1st setting up,it dont hurt a thing to mix the salt in the tank.Just keep in mind that sand and rock displace water,so you'll probably have to take some back out.Just keep the extra water in a bucket with a power head and use it when you do the first water change.
As for getting the new hose on the barbed fitting,Just twist it back forth.It'll take some elbow grease,but it'll go.
Now for the soap.Drain all the water from the entire system.Wipe every thing out with a lot on vinegar.Fill it all back up.Drain and repeat untill there no soap bubbles what so ever in the entire system.

Looks like everyone gots you covered. It's really up to you which way you want to do it. Some do the water first others do sand. Just remember not to use any chemicals in or near the tank. This also includes any type of lotions on your hands and arms. If your the type that doesn't like to wear gloves give your hands and arms a good rinsing before you put them in the tank.

we haven't gotten our live rock yet, since it's so $$ but next paycheck we will.

There are places you can get dry rock at a fraction of the cost of live rock (around $2 - $3 per pound). There are a couple of threads on this site that can point you to several vendors. The live sand and any live rock you add will make the dry rock live in a couple of months (not certain on the time frame though).

I'm afraid everyone's right about the soap -- that will kill any animals you put in it, easily. Not to mention the bacteria that you WANT to be growing in your tank. Any trace of soap will definitely stifle your good bacteria population. If I were you, I'd drain it and rinse it all VERY WELL to make sure there's absolutely no trace of soap. And in the future do not use anything but vinegar to clean anything having to do with your tank. Vinegar is a weak acid and the worst it will do if it's not completely rinsed is drop your pH a bit.

You can mix the new saltwater in your tank with no problem, as long as you have powerheads to keep it suspended until it's dissolved.

And if you layer different types of sand, the pink will not stay at the top for long. Within a few weeks, it will probably all be mixed together. Between the water currents and burrowing animals, it would be impossible to keep them in neat layers.

Although you say you have good tap water, I wouldn't recommend using it. Tap water can seem like it's good quality, but it will usually contain high levels of nitrates, phosphates and heavy metals, which water conditions do not remove. Nitrates and phosphates will lead to major algae problems. Tons of people have algae problems when they're using tap water and switching to RODI water is one of the best ways to prevent algae.

Sounds like it's coming along quite well, good luck!

well right now we are just in the middle of a messy tank. the water is cloudy! and we've had the pump running for 28 hours or so.

we layed a bottom layer of sand (not live just argonite), then I mixed 5 gallons of water and salt at a time......using tap water. It's not so much what I want to do, as much as what I have to do. Reasoning is not my guy's forte. I mean I'm a stay at home mom, so if he won't buy it or help me get it here some how that means it's not going to happen. I could tell him all the reasons till I was blue in the face and all list the consequences till the cows come home but it will get me nowhere. I just try to do as much as I can the right way.
I feel like I might as well just give up...let him ruin everything (as long as I keep my fish in the 30 just fine)...and when he's done wasting time, effort, and $$$$$$$$$$$. Then I'll take over and redo it all. I don't know where I'll get the $$ for my own hobby but I'll think of something if I have to sell a kidney!

Tell him to either pay for your hobby or pay for daycare when you go to work. Trust me coming from a guys perspective it should work.

Back