2 species of Clown Fish in the same 175g tank?

Humuhumununu

Reefing newb
I have a 6 foot long reef tank, and I already have a pair of Orange and Black Ocellaris Clowns in my 66g reef tank, and they're hsoting an anenome, and staying peaceful, etc. Bottom line: No issues. My question is this: is it possible to put two different species of Clown fish in the same 175g tank? They would be two different pairs of two different species, each pair with its own anenome at the opposite ends of a 6 foot long tank.

I have not purchased the two pairs of the new clowns. I suppose that I could put the pair from my 66g in the 175g with the new pair, I could even move their anenome over also to help with the introduction process. If there is any hostility between the two species, I could always move my original pair back into the 66g. The reason I posted this is because one of my three vendors has a total of 12 clowns in the same frag tank. There are 4 Black and White Ocellaris Clowns and 8 Orange and White Ocellaris Clowns. I can only guess three things:

1. They were all introduced at the same time.
2. Because they are the same fish but just a different color, they are more cooperative with one another.
3. They already established who was the dominant pair of the group.

I've seen different clown species live in the same tank. It was a 120 long and each kept to their end of the tank without bothering each other.

This is a response from a friend of mine yhat does breed clowns. His response was to the same type question.

Robin here**... Hey Charles, if you do want to mix species I'd stay in the perc / occy complex as they tend to match better. Even better is to get one of the occy variants that has the color you want since you're still dealing with the same species even though the fish looks different.If your female is in the 1.5" - 1.75" range then I'd get a male that is visibly smaller, but not tiny (nothing less than 1.25"). The size difference will help to ensure dominance, but the min size will help ensure that the new one doesn't get totally beat up.*Also, keep in mind that fish do have personalities, and within the same species you'll find ones that are more chill and others that don't want no-one coming into their territory. I don't know the personality of your female, but if the space is relatively small and she's been in there awhile, you may have to deal with territory issues if she's not one of the relaxed ones. If you've been thinking of doing any tank decor adjustments, perhaps do that at the same time you add the new male (post QT, of course!) since that may shake things up a bit and she won't be quite as defensive to the newcomer since she'll be distracted trying to figure out who rearranged the living room.Good luck!*

The Omaha Zoo (Scott Aquarium) has a...100-125 tall bowfront (new and custom, obviously) with probably 12-15 anemones of sorts and probably 30 clowns, all true Perculas. Dunno how itll work long-term, but I watched for awhile and didnt see any agressiveness or signs. I wonder if it was because it was a large enough group or if its a new en(ugh tank still or what, but its worth a shot, just have a backup plan.

Speaking from personal experience, most zoos have a really horrible record with their saltwater collection. However, if you get a bunch of clowns as fry and keep them together it can sometimes work to have a large group of them.

I originally got the thought when I saw my dealer with a platinum clown pair and a true percuilar clown pair, how ever these fish were inter acting with each other and were NOT for sale. They were normally within a foot or less of each other, however they did tend to ignore each other. I think that may be because the platinums were more interested in the current than their territory and vise-versa for the true p. clowns.

Back