20-Gallon Build Thread!

Eric Noa

Reefing newb
Im back guys! Couldn't stay away for long lol

I picked up a 90G driller with a Corner overflow a couple of weeks again but I've decided that while I wait to set up my 90G I will go ahead and set up a 20G Nano in my room since the cost will be a lot less, so for now the 90G will just sit in my garage and who know's maybe it'll get upgraded to a 220G before its even set up.

Main Display:
Standard 20G - 24" x 12" x 16" (Drilled with either a Beananimal or Herbie overflow)

Lighting:
Im thinking of going with the Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System, Ive read good reviews about it and the prices is not bad. I could also go for a DIY LED Fixture but Im not sure yet. What do you guys think?
Reef Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System

Flow:
Return Pump - EHEIM Compact 300
Powerhead Pump(s) - Not sure yet probably a couple of Koralia's. Im open to suggestions.

Filtration:
Sump - ProFlex Sumps Model 1
Skimmer - Not sure yet. Open to suggestions also

Stand:
DIY Stand

Fish & Corals:
Coming soon!

I will be using Dry Rock and Dry Sand. I'll probably use a couple of pounds of live rock.

Now here for the pictures. First I'll start with a couple of renderings of my room with and without the tank.

Scene4-1.jpg

Scene3-1.jpg

Scene5.jpg

Scene3.jpg

Scene1-1.jpg

Scene1.jpg

Scene6-1.jpg

Scene4.jpg

Scene6.jpg

I picked that corner of the room because on the other side even though it might look like it fits it doesn't unless I move the bed to the other side and then I won't be able to open the door to my closet all the way.

Starting to put the stand together! This will be a tight fit but I'll make it work :) Sorry for the bad quality pics but I took this at night in my garage right after I finished for the night.

I decided to make the frame out of 2x2 don't really need 2x4's for this tank.

Stand1.jpg

Everything cut to size

Stand2.jpg

The Frame almost done... Need to give it the final touches tomorrow and get it ready for paint then cover it up with 1/4" Birch Plywood and stain it.

Stand3.jpg

Stand4.jpg

Fawk the tank i wanna see your bike ;)

Jk

Looks like a tight space but eveything fits in GREAT, except that dont look like a marineland cap light in your photos lol, that fixture will be hanging from your tank and if it isnt idk if its enough light....

Fawk the tank i wanna see your bike ;)

Jk

Looks like a tight space but eveything fits in GREAT, except that dont look like a marineland cap light in your photos lol, that fixture will be hanging from your tank and if it isnt idk if its enough light....

lol I know its not the same light :) I didn't feel like drafting the light so I just got one already made from sketch up. Which one won't be enough?

Welcome back, looks like it going to be a great set up! I would do a quick check and make sure that having the tank there wont hinder opening the door and that the handle of the door doesnt hit the tank when you open it.

Welcome back, looks like it going to be a great set up! I would do a quick check and make sure that having the tank there wont hinder opening the door and that the handle of the door doesnt hit the tank when you open it.

Thank you! I made the stand a little bit higher than the door handle so that it won't hit the tank plus it has a door stop at the bottom which will prevent it from even touching the stand. With the tank there the door will open to a full 90 degrees more than enough lol

that bike is sick! but going back to the main topic, i have the marineland reef capable led's and i love them.they are over a 20g and they support pretty much everything! (mine is a 20g long so it might not be as deep as yours but should still support pretty much everything)

that bike is sick! but going back to the main topic, i have the marineland reef capable led's and i love them.they are over a 20g and they support pretty much everything! (mine is a 20g long so it might not be as deep as yours but should still support pretty much everything)

Yea I've read some good reviews so Im most likely going to go with that one.

and to update everyone I didn't get anything else done since I went to Orlando, FL for the weekend with some friends and I just got back home but Im planning to get a lot done this week...hopefully :)

gixxer gixxer gixxer. That's the exact bike I am building my credit to buy! I AM JEALOUS! You might as well just buy a big huge tank that the bike will fit in, and when you aren't riding it thats what you can stare at instead of fish. I'd say it's a fair trade off.

Back