20 Gallon frag/zoa garden tank build

reeftanker84

Reefing newb
ok lets see if i can get a little more comments on this then on my 75gal build thred,i am going to start a 20 gallon long for my frag/zoa garden,this will be a sumpless setup with just 2 4 to 500gph circ pumps and 72w of t5 lights,may add 48 more watts so i can keep a few sps frags at the top,i will be using 20 lbs black arag sand and 20 to 25 lbs live rock,i have just started adding some saltwater,dont know if ill run a skimmer or just do 10%weekly changes since this tank will have no fish and minimal critters aside for a few snails and mabey a pep shrimp,any comments will definatly help make this an awsome tank

Attachments

• 75 gallon salt 001.jpg
    75 gallon salt 001.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 10,324
Even if you don't have any fish you'll still want a stable biofilter for feeding the corals and stuff. Is it connected to your main system?

ok,guys finaly have an update on my zoa/paly garden,got water,20lbs of live rock and my first zoas are now in the tank,ill post pics as soon as i finish aclimating a few of the zoa frags

i used all cycled live rock from an existing setup so no need to cycle,also no fish will be introduced to the tank at any time so no bioload,i will be puting nothing but soft coral and zoas in this tank so no need for halides,i have 72 watts of t5 lighting,and possibly going to add 48 more watts if i need it

Last edited:
you can keep basic sps under that light... i did in my 10 gallon with stock odyssea bulbs. i have acans under that light in my 37 gallon like 20 inches from the light

well if i keep everything in the 20 i wont have much for the 75 lol,but i am thinking im going to rebuild the 75 somewhat so i may end up with everything in the 20 while i battle the hair algae,if i do im going to put the 48 more watts of t5 on the 20 to be sure the montis are happy

ok,so i got some new corals today,got some pink palys,a 2 inch sunset monti,4 polyps darth maul palys and a huge frag grape monti that did not go in the 20

Attachments

• 75 gallon salt 026.jpg
    75 gallon salt 026.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 548
  • 75 gallon salt 024.jpg
    75 gallon salt 024.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 870
  • 75 gallon salt 030.jpg
    75 gallon salt 030.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 930
  • 75 gallon salt 025.jpg
    75 gallon salt 025.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,221
yes everything arrived in fine shape,the darths were open less then 5 mins in the tank,same goes for the palys you sent,the grape is slimin pretty good so i put alot of flow over it

Back