20 gallon saltwater tank

Let's see, you will need some good lights, a small powerhead, a testing kit, you won't need a protein skimmer probably, since it is a smaller tank water changes should take care of it.
Check out liveaquaria, then have a section called "nano fish" that show great examples of fish you can keep.

Oh geez, that'll depend on your bioload and your levels. Maybe 20% a week? You'll find what works for you as you test and you'll find out what maintains your levels.

i used saltwater fish for dummies when i first started and they had said 10-20% every two weeks. i tried that for a couple of months but always seemed to have elevated nitrates. From peoples recommendations on here and trial and error i usually do between 10-15% every Sunday and that seems to do pretty well for my water chem. that being said Sarah is correct that it definitely depends on the bioload.

Just be sure you are aware that you are limited to two small fish in a 20 gal tank. The rule is 1 fish for every 10 gallons. You can kinda push that when the tank gets older, but each fish needs room to establish a territory and when there isnt enough, the fish get stressed and disease and death result.

Back