20 gallon tank stand

mikefight101

Reefing newb
hey guys so i just set up my 20g tank and i had no stand for it so right now its just on what was my living room table. my question is my tank is 30 inches wide and the stand i found is only 24 inches wide. is it ok if there is over hang? or does it need to be as big or bigger then the tank? thanks everyone!

Most of the pressure in square tanks is right at the corner seams. A little overhang is ok, but if the corners aren't supported at all the seams could give way!

Yeah. 27-29" would probably be okay, but 24 is dangerously short. Sorry...there should be 30" stands because 29&37 gallon tanks are common and have the same footprint. Tr jy Petco or PetSmart.

you can also build one out of 2x4 and some wood paneling for around $50 if you find a good deal. They aren't that hard. There are a ton of DIY forums out there.

so i got this stand from a local reefer for free. i've never really used a stand like this before so i was wondering is the tank supposed to just sit on top of it like on its edges? like it won't have any support in the middle? i was thinking of buying a piece of wood and putting it in the middle so that it would have support there or are these stands meant to hold it like that?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,129
It defiantly would not hurt to put a piece of wood across the top of the stand. If you are going to do that I would also add a piece of rigid foam under the tank as well to allow for any unevenness that would cause excess stress on the tank. I had a 29g blow out on me once. However a tank in that size all the weight is in the corners and that is all that is "needed" for support.

Back