2009 Nano Build Contest!

well yote i was thinking something else when i saw DP but i will not go any further than that. but yes i will blame dustin if it fails, but the leak test went over great so far.
i told you yesterday that i do that in my spare time and my silicon laying skills cant be beat

I think its truly a good luck tank. Has to be. Maybe ill out a naso in there and 10 chromis to see if it will be algae free. I think its a sign. No way I can lose now.

ALRIGHT! I've had enough.... for the past week I've been wandering around picturing a stupid 10g tank in my head. I'm entering this contest.

10g SPS only barebottom reef.

I will be getting some sketches of the tank up (as I sketch up every tank before putting the plan into action)

Let's start with flow.

No powerheads. While I realize that a 10g tank is quite thin and therefore very easy to break, this tank will be drilled 4 times. (not a typo). Why? Closed loop!

To get great alternating current every 5 second I'll be hooking up a Mag-Drive 7 (on a ball valve to vary flow) to an SCWD (switching current water director). 1/2" in closed loop 3/4" ouch, with a 3/4" durso drain. (3/4" durso can handle roughly 350gph, more than enough.)

I have a spare 250W magnetic ballast sitting around... so i'm going to use that for lighting! haha. Thinking of going with the XM 20k bulb since I really don't need the extra par that a phoenix 14k would put out... and i love the deeper blue. This will of course be a retro-fit, i'll be choosing an HQI bulb as the HQI reflector will be easier to build into a small canopy which I can duct to keep temps down.

the rules state sump size can be as big as 10g, so naturall i'm goin' with a 10g sump. I'm lazy and anal retentive about water quality and the posibility of nitrates/algae... I considered a remora (mj1200) but for the money i'm just going to get a NW-110. why not? lol. return is just going to be the cheapest 250-300gph (at 0 head) return pump I can find.... so probably a viaaqua.

the tank itself has to have black seems.... which I can get no problem. rockwork will be rather minimal... as most of the structure will be comprised of three yet undecided SPS corals.

Obviously with this system i'm going to be evaporating a lot of water (which is great actually, not just for cooling.) this will allow me to regulate calc/alk by dripping kalk (mrs. wage's) in the top off water.

i'll be bored tomorrow.... so i'll get a 3d sketch goin. you people should buy some stuff that way I can fund this!

I actually changed my mind on the lighting:

For lighting I'll be doing a 150W radium 20K bulb on an M81 magnetic ballast. that's actually going to give me more PAR than a standard 250W 20K with a bit less heat (PPFD = 47 vs. 42 when bulbs are behind glass, and the XM is rated at 36 on an icecap ballast.... lol). Won't be a huge difference in heat considering that 150W bulb is going to be running at 228W (seriously) when on an M81 ballast, as that is spec on the bulb. If you're wondering about the color.... it will be nearly identical to a phoenix 14k, but with a bit more actinic pop.... sounds perfect, huh?

Dang dude, sounds intimidating as hell.:shock: No way am i going sps on this thing. Basically cause this will be my first ever reef tank. Im the newbie budget entry.:^: I have the tank, gonna use a hob fuge, a 40 watt current satellite pc light (since I happen to have one already) , Live rock and I'm thinking two hydro koralia nano power heads for flow. Was thinking I would get them from you (price seems good) As far as stocking I was thinking of starting with the nano soft coral pack from aquacon. If I dont kill those will supplement with some other stuff. I realy have no idea what the heck i'm doing but figured this would be a interesting way to learn. I keep reading about corals but it just aint sticking in my rock hard head. I guess I will just have to learn them hands on, books and such are just confusing me.

Dang dude, sounds intimidating as hell.:shock: No way am i going sps on this thing. Basically cause this will be my first ever reef tank. Im the newbie budget entry.:^: I have the tank, gonna use a hob fuge, a 40 watt current satellite pc light (since I happen to have one already) , Live rock and I'm thinking two hydro koralia nano power heads for flow. Was thinking I would get them from you (price seems good) As far as stocking I was thinking of starting with the nano soft coral pack from aquacon. If I dont kill those will supplement with some other stuff. I realy have no idea what the heck i'm doing but figured this would be a interesting way to learn. I keep reading about corals but it just aint sticking in my rock hard head. I guess I will just have to learn them hands on, books and such are just confusing me.

I'm planning to make this thing stellar... i can't fall asleep because i'm planning it. This thing is going to sit at my father's collision repair shop... so i'm going to style the stand after a mac toolbox.

you're going to do great! i'm just a complete equipment junky... so it's going to have some bells and whistles.

Wow, Nathan, you really play your cards close to the chest! With how secretive and stealth you're being about your tank design, no one will be able to try to steal or copy your ideas!! ;)

Wow, Nathan, you really play your cards close to the chest! With how secretive and stealth you're being about your tank design, no one will be able to try to steal or copy your ideas!! ;)

I would LOVE to see another closed loop 10g :P

so far who is in the competition?

im not going to have the light sitting on top of the water. i am planning on som sps in my 10 gal i think it i can get enough to use for it.

Back