2010 pico contest!

Which 3-gallon setup would you prefer to be used in the contest?

• PICOTOPE

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • DECO KIT

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bifferwine

I am a girl
Hello,
We are discussing getting the 2010 Pico Contest underway. Every participant will start with the same set up, which has been narrowed down to one of these two 3-gallon all-in-one setups:

PICOTOPE:
Desktop & Small Aquarium Starter Kits: Picotope 3 Gallon Aquarium Kit
- Includes: 3 gallon glass aquarium - 11-3/4" x 8-7/8" x 8"; compact fluorescent Clamp-on Lamp fixture with 9W 50/50 lamp and remote ballast; 40 gph Pico powerfilter.

DECO KIT:
Desktop & Starter Aquarium Kit: 3-gallon Deco Kit Aquarium
- Includes: 3 gallon acrylic aquarium - 12-1/2" x 9-5/8" x 7-1/4"; Rapids powerfilter, 18W compact fluorescent perch-light fixture with 50/50 14,000°K actinic and 7,400°K daylight lamp.

As you can see, there is about a $10 price difference between the two. Please vote as to which setup you'd prefer!

Man, that is a hard choice. IMO the pico looks better but the deco has the better lights. I chose the pico because if I do happen to join the contest it will be setup on my desk at work and the sleek looks of the pico prevail.

picotope hands down! the edges on it are clean and make it look really good compared to the rounded edges of the other one. still provides 3wpg which is totally enough and the light looks better on physical appearance as far as contour and style.

plus how can you go wrong when its cheaper and it looks better !

I don't know about the lighting, Freak... It's 3 wpg in the Picotope. In such a shallow tank, I think that'd be more than enough for softies and even some LPS.

The kicker for me is that the Picotope is glass, and the Deco Kit is acrylic. I really don't want an acrylic tank!!

I voted for the Pico.
But to be totally honest.Those are both great looking little tanks.We sale both at the LFS.
You can also get an LED light upgrade for the Deco tank that WILL support corals with no problems.

is the contest requiring that you set it up with that light?

and it in no way can be connected to your current tank right?

The idea is to have everyone start with the same thing, so it really does test to see who is the best at aquascaping, coral choice, etc., so I would say that you have to use stock lights and it has to be seperate from other tanks. Am I right?

is the contest requiring that you set it up with that light?

and it in no way can be connected to your current tank right?

The idea is to have everyone start with the same thing, so it really does test to see who is the best at aquascaping, coral choice, etc., so I would say that you have to use stock lights and it has to be seperate from other tanks. Am I right?

Yes. You have to use the filter and light that come with it. No modifications or adding your own lights or filter. Although modifications to the filter media, or leaving off the filter altogether are probably okay, I'm guessing... Alexander will be writing up the official rules.

I like the glass aquarium but chose the Deco because of the lighting. I think that is more important than having glass. Dominick I'm with you... Cheap bastards! :mrgreen:

Oh David, you probably won't even participate!! Why should your vote count?! :lol:

All I care about is whether or not the walls of the tank will be clear enough for me to see my school of sohal tangs. Scratched up acrylic obviously won't cut it!

This thread made my day. Thanks Biff!!!

I voted for the Pico, Acrylic tanks are PITA. You can walk by them briskly and scratch the crap out of them.

Back