2010 pico contest!

Which 3-gallon setup would you prefer to be used in the contest?

• PICOTOPE

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • DECO KIT

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nope, no light upgrades. The stock lights are sufficient to keep most things. That's part of the contest. Working with what you're given!

That would defeat the purpose of everyone starting on an even playing field with the same all-in-one setup. If we can upgrade equipment, there's no point in buying one of these pico sets in the first place. PM Alexander about it -- he is the Contest Master.

That would defeat the purpose of everyone starting on an even playing field with the same all-in-one setup. If we can upgrade equipment, there's no point in buying one of these pico sets in the first place. PM Alexander about it -- he is the Contest Master.

Biff, the upgrade is part of the kit, it's listed as an optional purchase? I agree with you that we should all start with the same all-in-one. You're right, that is the best way.

C

Would up the upgrade allow people to keep things like clams and the more difficult corals?

I don't think so. I looked back at the listing and I'm thinking that the bulb isn't an optional upgrade but it's just the light that comes with the unit? If it is an optional upgrade then I think we should be able to get it, if it isn't then I agree with Biff that we shouldn't be able to 'mod' the lighting.

Little Fish, have you looked into the Bio-Cubes? They are an all in one with lighting that would allow you to keep any coral you want and the clams. I've got the 14 gallon and that's where I keep my 'stinting' stuff.

C

I'm kind of confused. There is no light upgrade for the Picotope. It comes with a 9 watt PC lamp and bulb. The optional stuff listed is just a spare bulb.

I'm kind of confused. There is no light upgrade for the Picotope. It comes with a 9 watt PC lamp and bulb. The optional stuff listed is just a spare bulb.

You're not confused, Biff, I am. I read that listing:

4663693140_361cfc3d8c.jpg

and I thought the light was an optional upgrade. My bad. Sry for the confusion. I say if that wins, we go 'as is'.

C

Are we going to be able to start with live sand? I'm asking because I've decided to start this tank with totally dry goods and I would like to start making my sand and rock live now. I would start it in a bucket just to get the nutrients going. It wouldn't be different than if I bought live sand and rock or swiped some out of my tank except it wouldn't have BRISTLEWORMS!!!

C

Are we going to be able to start with live sand? I'm asking because I've decided to start this tank with totally dry goods and I would like to start making my sand and rock live now. I would start it in a bucket just to get the nutrients going. It wouldn't be different than if I bought live sand and rock or swiped some out of my tank except it wouldn't have BRISTLEWORMS!!!

C

Ya, me too. Also, i was just curious about the lighting allowing for clams or more touchy corals because there are a few that i really like but those will have to stay in the dream drawer for now. Thats ok though!

I'm assuming the prize will be similar to what Ted got ( a 29g BioCube, right?). That's the main reason I'm so excited about this contest. If the prize is lame, I probably won't participate :D

Back