210 gallon sump or filter

silvaams

Reefing newb
I recently purchased a 210 gallon tank which came with dual overflows and a canister
Filter. I have been going back and forth about if I should use the filter or my 55 gal for a
Sump. The filter is a fx5 and is brand new. Could any of you give me your thoughts? I plan
On keeping a reef setup sometime in the next 6 months after I get everything i need.

Canister filters are a pain in the butt with reef tanks. They can work but you need to clean it weekly or every other week. A sump/refugium is a much better way to go with a in sump protein skimmer.

Thanks for your input. I have read so many different things and some people say sumps
Are nitrate factories. I have never run a tank sump set up before so I don't have
That experience.

The only real way a sump will become a nitrate factory is if you have bio balls and/or sponges in it. Bio balls build up a bunch of junk and just get nasty. Sponges for controlling bubbles need to be rinsed every few days. I keep my sump simple. Intake area with a protein skimmer, next refugium section with live rock and cheato macro algae, then a bubble trap and the return section containing the pump. No socks no sponges...easy

Back