220g FOWLR

ReelNorth

Reefing newb
Hey all

I am looking to setup a FOWLR in my 220. It will be a long process, so i am doing lots of research.

I will be adding about 250 lbs of live rock, 75g sump, t5 lights (about 350-400 watts)

What are good fish for a FOWLR tank. I love triggers, but hear they are really nasty as they age. What do you all like and dislike\

you dont need all that light for a fish only tank. you will be wasting money for the lighting bill..
unless you plan to go to corals you would need more lighting. you would need some metal halides in addition to those t5 lights.

If I had a 220g fowlr. I would put in an emperor angel. My favorite non-reef fish.

r

The nice thing about fish only tanks is that you can pretty much have whatever you want, especially with a tank of the size of a 220! Angelfish, Butterflyfish, and triggers are all fish that are hard to keep with corals. You wouldn't have those issues in a FOWLR.

Last edited:
Not all triggers are nasty. Some are even reef safe! One of my favorite fish is the pink tailed trigger. I had one for years before it was crushed in an unfortunate rock slide when I moved tanks :(

Changed my mind - reef it is. Just gonna take longer to build.

So what fish for these are recommended? I would love some triggers.... but i might be dreaming

There are a few reef safe triggers. I had a pink tail trigger in my reef for years. It was one of my favorite fish ever! Niger triggers, crosshatch and blue throats are also usually reef safe. Sometimes you'll pick an oddball that eats things it shouldn't, but for the most part they are fine in a reef.

Everytime ''trigger'' comes up you go ranting about Tangent.You don't see me going poor Bifferwine everytime ''tang'' comes up in conversation.

Lamarck angels are awesome AND reef safe.Then of course there is the atlantic blue tang,yellow tang,kole tangs,powder blue and powder brown tangs.
Flasher,carpenter,and fairy wrasses.

Back