$$$

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Ok, this might be a depressing thread. But how much do you think you have invested in your aquarium, tank, equipment, fish, LR, coral etc.?

This also might make others feel better knowing that someone else spent more money than them:mrgreen:

Holy crap, I can't say because my husband will sometimes read up on here! He has no idea. I NEVER tell him how much my stuff REALLY costs!!! And I'm a full time grad student with a part time job!!! With a credit card, thank God. My tank has been up and running for about a year now, and my best guess would be about a third of my (part time grad student) income from last year. And I'm not saying what that is. Because, really I don't want to think about it. I have less than a dozen corals, so most of my money has been in equipment. Oh yeah, and about $900 worth of live rock. That kinda sucked. Because nothing interesting ever grew on it. My tank (and my sick pets' vet bills) are really the ONLY things I spend my money on. My car's paid off, so now I do this instead.

You're right, this is depressing. I'd better stop now.

As of now on my current tank I would say around $450, thats just tank and stand. It will take another $1650 before I can add fish, then another 4 or $500 for corals and clams.

$400 or $500 for corals and clams? Boy, you should try my LFS!! You'd walk out of there with two items for that money! Hmmmm, maybe that's why I've spent so much...

Bifferwine said:
$400 or $500 for corals and clams? Boy, you should try my LFS!! You'd walk out of there with two items for that money! Hmmmm, maybe that's why I've spent so much...

Thats how much it will cost to upgrade my lights for species that need high light. :)

Bifferwine you are paying shipping cost. You are in the middle of nowhere. HaHa

Very true, probably. Tucson actually has a population of over 1 million! It's just that we're very...landlocked. You have to drive 2 hours through the desert to get to the closest city. And that's driving 85 MPH.

Sounds like things are going good with your tank, Jerm. Must be tough to have to be that patient, I would have to have my hands tied behind my back and my internet disconnected to be as patient as you have been!! :bounce: :bounce:

Lets see,,,for my 30
300 bucks for coralife PCs
100 bucks for a ( here it is again ) seaclone skimmer
40 dollars worth of sand
200 bucks in live rock
a little over 80 bucks for 2 emp.400s
probably 30 to 40 dollars worth of fish and corals
All my corals are 15 to 30 dollar frags
spent more on the fish

So far on my 55
400 dollars worth of lights
80 dollars for the skimmer
and 65 dollars for 90 gal mix of salt and 45 pounds of sand ( so far )

Last edited:
Well lets see on the hobby as a whole I don't even want to think about it. But for my current tank lets see.

Tank Free
Stand Free
Skimmer 220
Filter Free
Lighting 380
Rock 50
Sand 80
Heater 20
Livestock 300-400
PHs 60
Misc 100
Total 1310

hmmm, that is a good question. Let me see, since the inception of my tank 2 years ago, the entire tank that was lost to a salt / ammonia disaster (don't ask - losing a 10in emperor angel about killed me - that was a grand in fish for that major boo-boo:frustrat: ). I have 15 corals, 125 lbs live rock, lighting, sump, current fish population and traded in fish.....just about $7,000. wow, that sucks. I learned the hard way. Thanks for the question, it was fun to torture myself and my poor financial choices :grumble:

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I had a 20G set up and when I new I was going to upgrade I bought a bunch of cheap base rock and put it in the 20 to start turning it into LR and then when I set up the 60 I just got some more base rock that I got cheap and put that in and then moved the rock over.

Roughly $2500 to date.

Doesnt sound like a lot, but when youre in highschool and only have a part time job, its enormous.

Back