$$$

So far with only 2 little fish being the only inhabitants in the tank and still need to buy lights to support coral I have spent around $850 on it with at least $300-400 to go. PS. don't tell my wife, she would flip out if she knew the actual cost.

For my 90 that was set up less than one year ago, I used the old skimmer off my previous tank (which cost $600). The tank and stand was $600. The lights were $400-something. My sump/refugium/plumbing setup was probably another $150 or so. Sand and rock came from my old tank (so about $1000 there). Powerheads were about $150. Andddddddddddd livestock... Let's just toss another $2000 or so in there for livestock.

:shock:

Ugggg... this game sucks so after adding it up yesterday and REALLY started to think about it (ALL NIGHT) I am sure my # is closer to $5grand. ugggggg

Aint no way in hell I'm gonna start adding up what I've spent on this hobby.
I wouldnt have to worry about a divorce because the wife would KILL me.

Me too Yote. Although she was right there with me most the time. If I added up everything I've spent, I'd have to kick my own ass.:frustrat:

The first rule of reef club?...You don't talk about REEF CLUB.

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about REEF CLUB.

3rd RULE: If a fish says "stop" or coral goes limp, taps out the fight is over.

4th RULE: Only two fish to a fight.

5th RULE: One fight at a time.

6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.

7th RULE: Lights will go on as long as they have to.

8th RULE: If this is your first night at REEF CLUB, you HAVE to fight BIFF.

Every once and a while you will hear the tank snobs go off on you with "What do you mean you don't have a $400 skimmer?" or "Are you crazy? You must get a $600 chiller."

You can save a lot of money with DIY projects. I think I saved close to a thousand by picking up rock off a beach and curing it myself.

Craigslist saved me money but then I live between Baltimore and work in DC. Lots of stuff on Craigslist. Even thought some people think there stuff should bring TOP dollar you just wait a week and offer less.

:shock: fight biff? im glad im not so much of a newbie anymore.. breaking thousand posts makes you part of the club right?

Saving is hard in this hobby, but curing your own rock and no skimmer would definitely help! but some of us dont have the skill to do it all ourselves :P like me :grumble: But eventually i will try.

After I got up to 2 grand I stopped telling my wife about the true cost. She started using it against me when we argue about money. I mean, can I really tell her "look, we can't afford to go to an expensive restaurant tonight".

OMG, my heart flutters just to THINK about even CALCULATING how much I've spent over the last 2 years on my 125. I've tried very hard to "budget" shop on CL and Ebay, but still.....oooohhhh gives me goosebumps! Nope....I won't. Mums the word from me.

Since we're on the subject....I don't know if this is true or not, but it's been rumored that people take the cost of their tank off on their taxes. Here's how. You get a doctors note considering it relaxation therapy. Allegedly, tanks are supposed to bring your blood pressure down, etc. (the people who thought that up have obviously never taken care of one.).

Or if you're a business owner (like I am) you place the tank in your office or home office. Voila. Business expenses.

I don't do it, but I've definitely ran across people who say they do. I don't want to sit down at the IRS one day with receipts for a foxface and have to try and explain how it's a business expense. I guess it could go under decorating on the taxes.

A lot of people have their tanks in their office for that reason. Never heard of the relaxation one though... I'm not enough of a cheat to go through the effort to write it off that way.

Back