280 gal plywood budget question

dralan552

Reefing newb
OK so I knew when I star ten this project that it was going to be a costly one.. I am still a few weeks away from even thinking about adding water to this tank.. it is 60"L X 30"D X 36"T plywood.. I will be fiberglassing the interior as well as adding several lawyers of two part epoxy paint... I am well planned all the way threw construction however I wasn't planning on the cost of some of the equipment and live rock, so my question is can I start cycling a 280gal tank with say 50lbs of uncured live rock and 75 lbs of cured live rock WITHOUT a lighting fixture? Or would it be better to buy the light fixture and start cycling with less live rock (around 30lbs of cured and some uncured)... If it will work I do have MH utility work lights if that can do anything... any input would be great on where I can save money... I'll try to post more of my plans tomorrow as I'm posting this on a tablet and it isn't the fastest..

One other question if anyone has experience building this type of aquarium... what thickness of glass is recommended? I've gotten different results from different calculators so I figured I'd ask someone who's done it..

Thank you

Roy

Can I ask why you are going with plywood? You could probably find a pre-made tank off of craigslist that will be less expensive and more secure in terms of construction...

i my self have been looking into building one keep us informed. and how about a spec list and such on material good luck i hope this works out for you.

I got a site security warning off of that link, Kevin. FYI

Interesting, I clicked on the link again and it continues to bring the thread up without any issues, no alert issues from my anti's either.
If the link is giving folks problems and y'all are still interested..Reefbuilders.com, forums, DIY
Its quite an interesting thread, I had no idea one could make a plywood aquarium.

Thank you for the quick replies... I am making some videos as well as a comprehensive list for anyone that wants to make one..

I have searched craigslist and the biggest ones I can find are 150 gal and I was able to buy all the materials I needed for aquarium for half of what they were asking.. I guess the biggest reason I chose to build my own is the gratification I will get when it is completed and I get to choose my own dimensions so it fits exactly where I want it..

I have to order a new charger or my laptop so when that comes in I will gladly post progress pictures..

Also if anyone is interested in seeing a Google sketch up draft of what I plan go to Google sketch ups 3D where house site and do a search for dralan552.. it should pop up

Thankyou all again for responding, I look forward to learning a lot from you..

Roy

Last edited:
Here are some pictures.. close up of fiberglass and shore to shore overflow box

Attachments

• 20130413_153240.jpg
    20130413_153240.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 451
  • 20130413_153256.jpg
    20130413_153256.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 630
  • 20130413_153314.jpg
    20130413_153314.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 638
3/4 inch with fiberglass.... if I wasn't going to use the fiberglass and just go with an epoxy or liquid rubber I probably would have still used 3\4 inch, though I would have used 2X4 studs for extra support

I would still use some support, though. At least a frame on each side (read: all 5 wood) and a center brace on top, bottom and back. That plywood isnt as strong as you think.

Ya I've actually been thinking more about that... I would hate to finish and have a structural failure because I chose to spare on 10 dollars worth of wood... another issue I'm running into is finding a local glass manufacturer that can cut the pane of glass in the thickness I need.... having a pane of glass shipped literally doubles the price if not more.... so right now I can only find places that can cut 1\2inch thick glass... so I will either have to drive a bit further or look into acrylic.

There is a top section that isn't in the pictures that will provide some of the support you've mentioned

Last edited:
That's exactly what I thought but I read an article about it being bad for this purpose.. I'll try to find where I read that, I just remember reading something that turned my attention to acrylic or pane glass... either way I'm still running into the issue of finding a local manufacturer that can get me something thicker than 1\2 inch... anyone think that 1\2 inch tempered would suffice with a depth of 36inch? (Well 34 is where the overflow is)... I would like something thicker.... and trying to do all this research on my tablet sux! Can't wait to get my computer cord

1 inch tempered is gonna be best. Nothing (with a grain of salt...a very small grain) in your tank will break it. Another option would be laminated, so long as its thick enough. Its broken much easier, but its 2 panes (3/8 would work, 1/2 is better) and a sheet of poly in between. Meaning if it did break, theres still enough structure left to hold the water while you evacuate your tank.

My last plywood tank was a 225gal 72"x36"x24"h and I used 3/4" ply and 3/8" thick glass UN-tempered. I used fiberglass cloth in all the corners and poured resin to a thickness of 1/8" thick all over the inside. To attach the glass put the tank face down, and just use silicone, aquarium grade and make a bead about 1/4" thick or little more to take up the bumpy resin (cause you just pour it it on and let dry all four sides) then just lay the glass in on top of the silicone and weigh it down. The silicone will seal the gap between the resin and the glass - the water pressure will keep the glass against the frame.

Keep it under 30" and save $$ on the glass

Back