29 Biocube LPS and Softies!

Anthony I see you are going to start doing serious business with your clowns. And let me tell you I'm glad for you. You have invested your time and money in this hobby and you are very devoted to it. It's nice to see that you'll be having some profit of it too.

Thank you. I'm still very far from being done with the whole set up, but, the ball is moving now :). Once I get most of them spawning religiously, I'll create a website to sell them. Anyone local to me on this forum will get discounts on any designers, or even regular clowns. I'll work out deals with people who are far, as far as shipping. My prices will be WELL under retail. Snowflakes will most likely be 40$ for 1"-2" in size. But, before I get more into it, I want to get more breeding, and proficient at raising the fry.

I would love some black ice clowns...just saying.

Or some black percs. (<-- auto-spell changes it to pervs the first time. maybe it was more fitting for this site.)

Or maybe you can just hook me up with my perfect Occelaris pair.

Lol, I just found a wholesaler who will sell me 2-3" regular occelaris for 11$. I think I'm going to order a couple to kick start the whole spawning process. It's probably going to take me several batches before I'm any good at it lol. But yeah, I'm going to mix and match for a whole bunch of different fry (hopefully!).

My friend in Parsipanny has two F2 Occ Clowns that are from Two Snowflake Parents. When they spawn, he gets almost anywhere from 33%-45% coming out as Platinums. He's got like 6 of them that survived this batch. And I'll be picking up a pair from him for 50$ once they make it to 1" :)

@Kbuser, I actually had a pair of Onyx Occ back in my 55 a long time ago. They died a while ago though. But, I do have a Snowflake and a B/W Clown paired up, so who knows :).
And, I have a pair of Onyx Percs that will be ready to breed in less then a year. So, keep your fingers crossed.

Picking up a 150 tomorrow. Very excited! :)

Also, new additions. These will be housed in the 150 once it's set up.
Misbar Onyx Percula.JPG

Thank you. I'm still very far from being done with the whole set up, but, the ball is moving now :). Once I get most of them spawning religiously, I'll create a website to sell them. Anyone local to me on this forum will get discounts on any designers, or even regular clowns. I'll work out deals with people who are far, as far as shipping. My prices will be WELL under retail. Snowflakes will most likely be 40$ for 1"-2" in size. But, before I get more into it, I want to get more breeding, and proficient at raising the fry.
awesome that'll be a fun adventure. good luck with everything

Thanks guys, and the lady I'm buying it from said it isn't. But, me and my buddy are going to drill it ourselves. I'm going to make the 150 my main DT and use my old 55 as the sump.

awesome that'll be a fun adventure. good luck with everything

Thanks, as it stands now I have four pairs that are breeder size. Only the ones in the biocube have spawned at all yet so far, but their breeding system hasn't been finished yet. Petco is having another 1$ per gallon sale again in november. I need to pick up a few more tanks for the set up before I can get everything ready. Then, me and my buddy have to drill all the tanks and plumb it all together.

It's going to be 6 20L in total, with each one broken up into three sections. That's for the broodstock to spawn. They'll all be plumbed together, draining into a 100g Rubbermaid Sump.

The leftover broodstock will be housed in my DTs where they can spawn freely if they want, but I most likely won't harvest.

The fry set up is going to consist of 5 2.5G Tanks, 5 5G Tanks, and 3 10G Tanks. Those are for 1day-2months.

Then I have a 20g Tall and 60G Hex to use for growout phase past that point. Once they're 1/2" and up, I can group them until I find buyers.

That's the layout as it stands right now. Things may possibly change as I proceed.

Picked up the 150 today!! And, turns out I was wrong. It is drilled. Duel Corner OverFlows :)!!

Man oh man, even with 4 people, that sucker was heavy and hard to move lol. Pictures coming soon!

Also came with about 40lbs of dead rock. It's the manmade stuff, so the pieces are extremely light, and rather large. Overall, very pleased!!! :):):)

Yes ma'am :). Trying to come up with a stocking list for it.

So far the stocking list is: One Hippo Tang (3.5-4"), One Engineer Goby (10"), and Two Onyx Percula (3/4-1" for the pair). I'd like at least two more tangs and a couple wrasses. Need ideas on other tangs that'll get along well with the hippo. I'll introduce them all at the same time to reduce aggression. Also, very interested in a Leopard Wrasse, but, would wait till the tank was more mature and populated with pods/mysis before I did it.

with two more tangs, and two wrasses, I'd be at a total of 7 fish. Looking for 3-4 more to cap the list off with. Ideas are appreciated! :)

I like the Achilles Tang and Bristletooth. As for your other fish, do 5 chromis. I've always liked a tank with schools; and actually when I get a house, I'm doing an 8' tank with probably 2 tangs, clowns, a couple asst'd wrasse, hawks, etc...and at least half in a school.

Achilles Tangs are my all time favorite fish. But, I'm iffy on wether it would be okay in a 150. They need a LOT of swimming room. Granted, I have about 200lbs of rock to put in there so I can make all different types of arches/caves/swim-throughs. I'll be adding my 55 as the sump for it, so I'll be at close to 200 gallons total volume (minus for live rock, probably closer to 190). I was thinking for tangs, my hippo, and a achilles. Or, a Hippo, Naso, and White tail bristletooth.

Schooling fish are awesome, but I was thinking of understocking this tank a little. I may do some Anthias though. 12 fish would be ideal for me. 13 at the most.

Sounds exciting my friend! This is the absolutely the BEST part of fish keeping - stocking a new tank. Achilles are very difficult (even more than most tangs) - if you get one make sure you fully research it. I don't ever see any juvenile Achilles being offered - usually they are adults and that makes them tougher to integrate. Anthias (imo) don't look right in a tank unless you have school going and some require feedings several times a day - not worth it unless you are going for the schooling look.

Some suggestions (my personal fav's):
Purple Tang - aggressive but the adults soooo beautiful,
Copperband butterfly - keep the aiptasia at bay,
Dwarf Angels - flame angel, coral beauty - colorful and full of personality (can be coral biters though)
Flasher wrasses - the flashing behaviour is super cool.

keep posting!

A few of my wholesalers told me that they can get Juvi Achilles in. They'd be about 1.5-2". I'm slightly concerned about the size difference between the Hippo and the Achilles. Purple Tangs are awesome looking too! That's definitely added to the list!.

Maybe a Leopard Wrasse and a Flasher Wrasse would be cool. I think I'm going to skip on any angels for aiptasia. If any breaks out, me and my fellow reefers have filefish that we swap around for any outbreaks. Hang on to it for a couple of weeks until we stop seeing any heads poking around, then move it to the next person.

The Fiancee is the main reason for wanting the Anthias. She fell in love with them when she saw them. And, I usually feed my DTs 3-4 times a day. I over feed like crazy. But, it helps keep aggression down, and my fish grow fairly quickly (most anyway). Have to do water changes a lot more frequently, but, I don't care about that lol.

Dirty as all hell, but, nothing some elbow grease can't take care of :)View attachment 19787

Looks great!
I like the location of the overflows in the corners.

Double-check the center brace. It looks like a DIY glass center brace, or maybe it just looks that way from the picture.
When I got my 100gallon tank it had a DIY glass center brace and it gave out. Since the tank was already filled it was too late to try and reseal the brace.
I had to make my own version of the center brace using PVC pipes and elbows.

Since your new tank is still dry you could take the opportunity to redo the seal on the center brace if needed.

Back