29 gal bio cube water flow

leon1972

Reefing newb
Hey guys. Got a 29 gallon bio cube and holding onto a 1200 gph sicce voyager pump for water flow. I have a few opinions on people I know thinking its too much for the size of the tank. I think it's fine. What do you guys think?

I don't think it's overkill, but you may have to position it behind/around the rocks to disperse the flow so it's not blasting one area.

I was thinking it would go on the back wall where it's out of sight pointed right at the lr. I'm thinking that would be enough flow around and through my lr and hopefully it will be enough for the corals as well

in my BC29 I use the stock pump and a koralia 425, and i personally think 1200 GPH would be too much, but thats not to say you couldn't make it work. I can tell you that both my return and powerhead are aimed into either glass or LR to disperse the flow, and even the part of the tank with the slowest flow where i have my long tentacle plate coral is still strong enough to blow its tentacles around. I have around 700 gph between the two, which i think is about right considering the display area in a BC29 holds about 20 gal of water. it's my opinion that with 1200 GPH going in there, even the lower flow areas might not be ideal for corals that prefer low-moderate flow rates. just my 2 cents!

In my BC29 I have a maxi jet output under 300 gph and a Koralia 1 which sits in the back behind the rock. Its is plenty of flow. If you put a 1200 gph behind the rock in a BC29 you will likely get a sand storm. I've tried stronger pumps behind my rock that are 300 or 400 gph and a small sand storm started.

I had a 1200 gph pump in my 10 gallon. It worked okay. Yes, it was excessive, but I positioned it behind the rocks enough that I was able to disperse and "muffle" the flow enough.

If your sand is not in suspension, it's not too much flow, but my guess is you'll have to play around with positioning to get it right

Ok. So I think I will drop it to a 600 or so as I want it out of sight behind the rock anyways. Should that still be powerful enough for water flow from behind the rock?

Back