29 Gallon Beginner Tank

mattgibboney

Reefing newb
Hello everyone,

I wanted to finaly be able to contribute to this forum so Im starting my first build thread. I got a 29 gallon tank from Craigslist primarily because it already had the light fixture and was a good size tank for me to learn on. I later found out that the light fixture wasnt strong enough, but will work for now. The tank came with no stand so I decided to build one based off a guys plans for his 40 gallon breader tank. I put the plans together in a word document so it would be easier to follow.

It took some time but I finaly got the tank up and running. ( I had to wait until I could afford the stuff) Here is a list of what I have for now:
  • 2 Koralia nano powerheads 425
  • 2X24 30" T5 light
  • 30lbs of sand
  • about 57lbs of live rock
  • Eshopps PSK-75H skimmer
  • 200 watt Finnex Titanium digital heater
I just got the live rock today and was very excited. The Mrs. did'nt like the price tag on the rock and skimmer but got over it when we started aquascaping.

Here are some pics of the progress.

I got the doors from my brothers shed. They are from a kitchen cabinet.
IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

Here it is with the sand just added.
IMAG0020.jpg

This is what happens when you add the water but miss the plate and pour directly into the sand.
IMAG0025.jpg

It took 2 days to start clearing. Thats with a small 15 gallon filter running on it.

Here it is with the live rock just added. Sand is quite stirred up.
IMAG0027.jpg

Here it is a couple of hours later with the skimmer running.

IMAG0043.jpg

We were very excited to see that there were hitchikers on the bottom left live rock. It is a very nice rock with a large amount of growth.

Unfortunately, I looked in the forum and believe that these little freeloaders are Apstasia. My question is, since this is the first day to have the live rock but 3rd day of cycling, do I need to get the Apstasia X now or should I wait until after the cycle?

IMAG0044.jpg

Yeah I counted 10 so far on that one rock. 3 of them are about 1" in diameter.

IMAG0045.jpg

But hey, other than this small setback Im pretty excited to finaly be a part of the Living Reefs' family.

wow! that's a lot of Apstasia. I would kill them asap using Apstasia X or whatever.

The stand looks lovely, by the way.

I like the rockscape that you made, and everything seems to be coming along very well. As far as the aiptasia goes, you can wait till after your tank cycles but, there's no reason to let it spread.

Yea, i wouldn't let it spread. You need less Apstasia X to kill them right now. By the time you finish the cycle, you could have a full tank of them.

Looks great!! But I do have one suggestion that you may not like...

Rock should have gone in before the sand. You do not want the rock sitting on top of the sand. You want it sitting directly on the glass. The reason being, is that fish, snails, starfish, etc. tend to move the sand around. When the sand shifts, and the rocks are sitting on top of it, a rock slide can occur. A rock slide can kill your fish and inverts -- and worst of all, it can break your glass. It has happened to people on this site a couple times, most recently just a month or so ago.

If I were you, I'd take care of it now while your tank is still young and cycling. I know this sucks to hear because your aquascaping looks great, but I would take the rocks out, push all the sand to the front of the tank, then put the rocks back in so that they are sitting on the glass. Then push the sand back around them.

It's a safety issue...

I would also zap those aiptasia right now before they grow in numbers even more.

great work! cant wait to see if come together! Ya id off those aptasia before you get an out of control problem on your hands

Thanks everyone. I went and grabbed some Apstasia X and took care of the problem. That stuff is great. I admit I have the hardest time pronouncing that name so I just call it Anti-Pasta.

Also, thanks Biff for your suggestion. I read similar suggestions in other threads and when I was adding the rock I actually confirmed it was touching the glass. It took me several tries to get it how it is now because after shifting the bottom pieces, the top pieces didn't want to stay in place.

You were absolutely right. Two more of the little monsters popped up. They were cleverly hidden, but have been taken care of.

Other fun news, I found a couple of hitchhikers this morning. One feather duster actually came out of its tube and a small blue starfish was strolling about the top of one of the rocks. I will try and get pics of both.

Hello all,

Here are some some new additions to the tank. Also, I would like to get feedback on the frag placement in regards to lighting and flow and such. Everything seems to be doing well but I wanted to get advice from the experts. (currently running 4 24watt T5 2 blue, 1 10k and 1 18k with 2 koralai powerheads 425gph)

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

This guy is still pissy from the move. At the LFS he was very open and bright.
IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

Back