29G Sump Design, do critique.

felixfish

newbie reefer
I originally started out with running an Algae Turf Scrubber, HOB skimmer, dual media reactor, and ATO with baffles separating the ATS. Shortly after filling the sump tank the baffles broke free and I ran an open system for several months. After time I had green and brown nasty growth all over the floor and attempted to clean it up, but the tank was on the floor and it was difficult to do that. So after doing some research I want to maximize my space and make the largest refugium I can fit into the 29g. I spoke with my LFS, because I was debating on doing either a DSB (deep sand bed), or just having LR (Live Rock). They told me I could do both, and I can seed the refugium with pods, and a refugium start up kit. Not quite sure how much this will be, but im sure I won't make it out under 50$. :shock:

I was curious on if anyone has done this. Since I want to make the refugium as large as possible, How much space can I run the return pump in. I am pretty much measuring enough room to twist the union to remove the pump for servicing. Here is my design, please let me know what you think.
[/URL]

I personally would go with just LR in the refug, it will handle a lot of filtering for you. And, if you use a DSB it will take up a lot of room, at least 6 inches from the bottom of your fuge and also you have to worry about it getting disturbed and releasing a lot of toxins into your tank. If you use live rock for the fuge it should have pods in it already for you, and if you use dry you can certainly seed it with pods (they can be bought online for as little as $9.99). And what do they consider a refugium start up kit? I'm not sure what they mean by that but you shouldn't have to add anything for it.

The space to use in each section is really up to you. Just a couple things to consider, make sure you have enough space in each section for maintenance and in case you want to add equipment in the future to your sump. Also, the smaller you make the return section the more often you'll have to top it off so that the pump doesn't run dry.

Well my new skimmer arrived today. An SC-300 I believe, a 150g skimmer I found on ebay. I dry test fit it in my sump tank and it fits. A bit snug, but it will work! I just started siliconing the middle baffle, and refugium wall glass in place. I am planning on adding a 2nd coat of silicone to them, then installing the other 2 baffles for the bubble trap.

I water tested and everything is good to go. I did a trial run, but didn't have enough time to tweak in the valves, and ATO.
7076502189_c2cb4ca4de_z.jpg

I have added the gravity ATO, made a trip to the LFS to get some live and dead sand, and Cheato algae. I had some rock left over from the revamp of the sump tank.

Back