2XAl's 90 Gallon

They are API and the one I was using was probably a year, but I did bring a second kit home which is only about 3 months which is reading very similar levels. Thanks for the thoughts.

They are API and the one I was using was probably a year, but I did bring a second kit home which is only about 3 months which is reading very similar levels. Thanks for the thoughts.

I say you throw in 1 more table shrimp in there and leave it in there this time by the time it dissolves your ammonia would have already spiked and gone to 0 making your nitrites go up... Just let nature take its course and the shrimp will be gone on its own

Appreciate the input guys, next question- The overflow I have has a hole drilled right in the center on the top. The obvious purpose of it is to start the siphon, but once the siphon is going I can't let it go uncovered or it breaks the siphon (obviously). I have been getting around it by having it connected to a powerhead. The problem is it's bringing in microbubbles that are getting vented through the powerhead, but it never lets the siphon get to 100%. Take a look at the picture and let me know what you guys think, my best thought is to drill and tap it with some sort of valve, but even then the microbubbles will eventually cause me to lose the siphon if I don't suck the air out somehow.
IMG_20121125_221019.jpg

a>

I have the same overflow. Connect a aqualifter pump to it. It will always pull water and the bubbles. Plus if/when you have a power outage it will restart the overflow. You will have one line going from the overflow to the aqualifter then another line going back into the overflow. This is how that type of overflow was designed. Aqualifter are $15 at most lfs. By the way have you tested for when you do lose power? Is your sump marked for water heights so you dont flood? Also your return needs to have holes drilled in it just below the water line so you break siphon and dont end up with a big mess on the floor. Hope this helps.

Hi guys, just wanted to throw in an update, with three kiddos and holidays it's been kind of hectic...

Tank finally cycled, after I left a table shrimp in and jumpstarted with some bacteria. I started transferring some of the corals from the 55, tank parameters have been stable so I added a small sailfin and a foxface, I'm working on better pictures. Question for the pros- I added a fish last week and one this weekend, how long would you wait before starting to transfer my 6 line, yellow watchman goby, and pair of clowns from the 55?

photo2_zpsf5b3dbeb.jpg

Finally a FTS before the corals, I had the wooden skewer to reach into the rockwork and flip some stupid snails:
photo-4_zps5aba207e.jpg

Hi guys finished I would do a quick update. Have a new skimmer and overflow thanks to lil fish and things have been going well. We had a blizzard last weekend and the temp swing was too much for the sailfin so we're down to a pair of clowns and a watchman goby. Anyone have a fish recommendation?? I'm open to suggestions, must be reef safe.

heres a FTS from a few days ago, corals are finally starting to fill out the tank (although there's always room for more) and all fish seem nice and happy. Next step is probably to ditch the crushed coral (and I'd really like to get rid of the background but the wife kind of likes it):
FTS21513_zps78a72141.jpg

Back