3 days with fish and Ammonia level is up

Matti

Reefing newb
Hello all,

Of course, I knew when I put in my 2 clownfish on Friday, along with snails and hermit crabs, my ammonia would go up.

I don't understand how and when the level is going to go down, and I don't know if that level is harming them now; they look and act fine.

Please help me understand that, and why the pH wants to be more acidic than alkalinic.

Thanks LOADS!!

Matti:^:

How long has your tank been running? Are you running live rock and sand? Whats your nitrates, nitrites, ammonia reading? It kind of sounds like your tank is cycling. I would keep up your water changes until you see your NH3 and NO2 go down. If your fish start looking like they might not be tolerating your condtions have you LFS hold them at their store until you can get your tank back to normal. Fish waste, uneaten food and decaying plant matter will all contribute to the level of ammonia in the tank. However, in a mature tank, there are usually enough ammonia-converting bacteria to ensure that it never rises to detectable levels. Nitrites may be high for the same reasons.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for your help.

I have insomnia tonight so I am on the computer and see that I got two nice responses!! I had some ammonia; the shade was kind of green (can't remember the number) , and some nitrates and nitrates. I added some Stability, which is bacteria that helps with "New Tank Syndrome"- and takes care of those high levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates at first. After I used that I had no more ammonia.

Still, I am concerned that my water is a bit hazy, so tomorrow I will do a water change; but, how much? Perhaps 3 gallons of my 12 gallon tank. Does that sound correct?

The fish have paired, believe it or not!! Maroon and gold clowns!!--and I am enjoying them so much. They seem to be acting just right.

I am seriously not trying to overfeed by any measure. What are some of the things that clownfish are supposed to eat? I bought some frozen brine shrimp in cubes. Then the LPS had a blend they make regularly that has garlic and other stuff in it; they sell that frozen. I really think that is what made the tank all cruddy looking. I have been fishing the remnants of what looks to be ground up bits of the shrimps' outer shell out of the tank for the past two days.

Many, many thanks for your words of wisdom.

Gratefully,
Matti

Last edited:
The maroon clowns will quickly out grow your tank. They are the largest of the clowns. If you just set up your tank I would return the clowns and wait for the water to be more stable. Then when your tank cycle is complete get a smaller pair of clowns. I have a pair of full grow false purculas that have great personaly. When feeding frozen fooods let it thaw and rinse it well with water. This will help with the cloudy water and algae. They are packed high in phosphates.

also it's not normally reccomended to have an anemone in a brand new tank. They do much better in a system that has been established for several months (like 6 or more). if your tank is new it sounds like it is probably still cycling.

edited: (sorry just noticed that the anemone was already addressed in the other thread.)

Last edited:
Since those were your first fish, it sounds like adding them started a new cycle (or mini cycle), which is really common when the first fish are added. Cut back on feeding to once a day or every other day. They only need a pinch of food. It's good that you are feeding frozen, but when you run out of the frozen brine shrimp, you should switch to mysis shrimp, since brine shrimp has very little nutritional value. It's like junk food for fish, and your LFS should have known that before they sold it to you.

The cloudiness could be a bacterial bloom due to your ammonia. I would do water changes to keep the ammonia low, until your tank cycles through again.

Thanks, Sarah,

Just did a 5 gallon water change and now, no ammonia, no nitrates, no nitritates, and good pH. Thanks. Found Frank's Tanks in Ft Worth through a guy in Dallas who works at a very incredible fish store there. He told me to call Frank. He gave me the exact advice you gave me. Thanks.

I had already bought the anemone because the pet store people (not Frank) said an anemone would be fine. Well, today two things are going on with it. One, it looks like it is dying; but two, this is the first day it is green rather than flesh colored. Frank said that anemones can turn around. I just wish the fish would leave the poor thing alone; but, perhaps nature knows best here, and I should just watch.

Must go the the drug store and post office. I hope to hear from you. I also got my first anemone sting. Wasn't too bad. Not nearly as bad as a bee, but I'd hate to feel it if she were having a good day!!

Thanks,
Matti

AmQuel will detoxify your ammonia. If your only talking low levels of ammonia you could use it and hope your nitrite and then nitrate do not get to high. If they start climbing much you would still have to do a water change anyway, meaning the cost of the AmQuel would be wasted. You wouldn't really save money by using AmQuel, but it is convenient versus water changes. The smallest bottles I have seen are around $7.00-$8.00 and treat nearly a 1000 gallons. It would definitely be a one time investment for most people.

I doubt that the anemone will survive the ammonia.Their just to fragile.
It'd be a good idea to go ahead and get some mysis and small krill.Just mix a cube of each,thaw,feed,then refreeze.

Thanks,
I used Prime until I could get five gallons of fresh 77 degree salt RO water. I did a five gallon water change (my tank is 12 gallons) and after that all was perfect. I got this advice from a guy named Frank. He owns a store called Frank's Tanks and I believe he has a web site too. Oh, and the store that sold me the two maroon and gold clownfish told me to feed them half a cube of frozen brine shrimp once a day. That, Frank said, is way to much; one cube should last FIVE days.

The other huge problem was that my anemone was shriveling up. The water change totally reversed it, and now the two clowns are rubbing and rolling all over it--it's their Linus blanket. The anemone is just gorgeous. My roommate found an article that said that too many people freek out about anemones. If you just know what you are dealing with they are not that hard. I will post that article tomorrow.

The thing I found most intriguing about Frank's tanks is how sparkling clean his water is; he said he does water changes on every system every single week. That, he said, is the key; and not to overfeed.

I am exhausted and my grammer is getting rough.

Just wanted to share what I learned today. Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me!

Very cordially,
Matti

Well sounds like you learned alot here are some things that ive learned might help you .
If nitrate spikes put fish on strict diet I used pellets there easier and you know nothing is going to waste.
Second if your anemone dies take it back to the fish store and show them an article were it says you should wait until tank is fully matured and tell them they sold you a product that was set up for failure and due to there lack of knowledge you demand your money back. "I got half my money back"
Finally be patient there will be a time when you max your tank out and then youll be like now what. Or youll over stock and mess up all homeostasis in your tank.
Mark

Hi everyone,

All is well and the clowns are thriving. They love each other, and their anemone, or "Woobie", as they call it in fish-language!!

The 5-gallon water change was miraculous, as were all the prayers. I added some more live rock, and they have let go of their Woobie and are swimming around the tank under the rock tunnel I made.

I was sent by a guy that helps me when I am in Dallas to Frank's Store in Fort Worth. Here's his website:
www.franks-tanks.com
Frank is so nice and if you could see his tanks you'd think you were in fish heaven. His store is also immaculately clean, and he won't sell you anything he does not personally use. Check out his website. I think he will reply to individual emails too!

Just wanted to update you all and give you a big Texas Thanks for the help!!

Gratefully,
Matti

Last edited:
Looks like Franks got a great bussiness going.

The key to keeping anemones happy and thriving is a good stable system with plenty of light.As long as your extremely low on nitrates and the temp,PH,and other params dont make any swings,then the anemones will thrive.
Next month will make ony year that I've had my bubble tip.

I agree with the cycle thing how long did you have the tank running before adding livestock? Its really important to let this cycle happen. I know from experience. If you keep doing water changes and the cycle isnt complete you may just be prolonging the cycle. IMO

Thanks loads for your post. So, could you write down for me your lighting schedule. Do you go ahead and use sunlight when it's available? I read last night that bubble tips really like sunlight (it was a person's opinion). I could keep my lights on all night. It does not bother me. I just want what's best for the anemone and the fish.

So, the next question is, what do the fish think about light on all the time? I have been leaving that LED blue light (which is barely any light at all) on while I am asleep at night and the anemone folds up into a soft taco and embraces the two clowns and they just love it!! I don't know, however, whether this is good for the clowns and/or if they actually prefer this?

How are the fish you got last week doing now?

Look forward to hearing from you,
Matti

Last edited:
It's hard to say. I used 3/4 of the water from my first tank (a tank I got for Christmas that was said to be for salt water but really IMO couldn't handle the load--it had begun cycling December 27) and added it to my Aquapod in late January (can't find my log book now--sorry). I let that run for a couple of weeks until all my values were at zero for 5 days. At that point I added livestock.

You do, however, raise, an interesting point--one I had never thought of. I will certainly be thinking of it in the days to come.

Thanks,
Matti

Last edited:
You want your tank to mimic natural conditions in the animal's environment. No coral reefs get sunlight 24/7. However, most of the time there is light present from the moon at night. I keep my lights on for around 12 hours a day. I don't have moonlights on my tank, but I did on my old tank, and the moonlights stayed on the other 12 hours. You need to have a dark period in your tank, because a lot of corals and inverts feed and become active at night too.

Back