3 dead snails

Beta173

Reefing newb
Seems strange that there are three dead snails in my tank today. Everyone else seems fine and happy.

Water is good:

SG: 1.026
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 5-10ppm hard to tell
Nitrites: 0
PH: 8.3
dKH: 9
Calcium: 480

Two snails were Turbos and one was an Astrea. THe only change I made in the last month or so is I replace a Koralia power head, changed from a 2 to a 4.

Ideas??

Do you have hermit crabs? And what is the tank's temp? Do you know how much of a temperature swing the tank goes through in a 24 hour period?

Yeah I have lots of hermits that how I knew the snails were dead, it was like a hermit dog pile. temps 80 degrees it swings about a degree in 24 hours this time of year.

Your temps are fine. I bet you anything the hermits killed them. That's what they do, and that's why I don't keep hermits in my reef tanks! They will kill snails for fun. For most people, it comes down to the choice of getting rid of all the hermits, or living with the hermits and replacing snails constantly.

Could be stray voltage since you added a new Koralia..but my money is on the hermits! Those little asshats killed all my snails...

I figure the snails probably fell off the glass and couldn't right themselves.Then the poor crabs got the blame.:shock:
Y'all ought to be ashamed of y'alls selves.:mrgreen:

Back