3 Koralia power heads all broken??

BL1

I've got 3 Koralia Nano powerheads (1 425gph, 2 240 gph), all three seem to have died almost at the same time. The one was in my tank and worked when I left 2 months ago, I came back and the propeller no longer spins but the motor hums like it's trying. Now, the other two I used for mixing my saltwater so they've not been submerged for almost 2 months. Neither of those make a sound when I plug them in. What could have happened?
And also, none of these powerheads are over 6 months old, the newest being only about 2.5 months old.

Try soaking them in Vinegar. I have a K1 and a K3 that I use to mix salt, and they stay dry for long periods of time. Each time, i have to open the cage, spin the propeller, and when I put it in the water and plug in, I have to shake it a bit to get it going. But this last time, they would not work at all. So I soaked them overnight in dilluted vinegar. The next morning, I turned it on while still in the vinegar solution, and voila! It ran very smoothly!

So, the two that didn't work at all are now going great after being soaked in the vinegar. The third that was humming still doesn't seem to be working, I'm going to take it apart this weekend and see if cleaning it with a Q-tip will help

Back