3 weeks and counting...

jb61264

Reefing newb
Well, it is officially three weeks since I added my live rock and my nitrites and nitrates are still high.

I am hopeful that in the next week I will see some decrease so I can have my 25lbs TBSW rock and 5lbs of TBSW sand shipped.

I forgot how hard this waiting game was with the reef aquarium I had almost 13 years ago.

Just stayed focused on the positive though...that I'll be adding a fish in the next two weeks :)

I did one 10% water change on 2/2...mostly to just get rid of some of the debris that had collected is areas on the sand and any dead debris on the rock

Last edited:
The only thing I've found thats worse than waiting for the cycle to end.Is trying to get the all the algae and cyano cycles that follow.

The only thing I've found thats worse than waiting for the cycle to end.Is trying to get the all the algae and cyano cycles that follow.
Oh...thanks for that one...LOL...I actually have a little bit of hair algae that I've noticed in two small spots...I've been leaving my lights off most of the time (maybe 20-30 minutes here and there total throughout the day). I just want to get my trites and trates down so I can have my 25lbs of TBSW rock and 5lbs of sand shipped...at least it will be something new to stare at and might have some hitchikers to watch for a couple weeks until any new cycle happens when I add the new rock.

I believe it's LR he ordered from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I hear they have real good LR but never ordered from them.

maybe it is just me but as a first timer to LR, the idea of hitchhikers kinda scared me. I would have been very paranoid about what was good and what was bad and also would have worried that my cycle was going to kill them.

I love suprises good and bad keeps you living. I cant wait to have a salty setup and order some LR just to see what I might get. The whole death thing kinda sucks but what can we do.

That Tampa Bay rock is some awesome stuff.You never know whats going to hitch hike in with it.
We've had it come into the LFS and found live octopuses,eels,fish,and all kinds of corals on it.

Back