3 weeks new to saltwater and making mistakes

Bought a used tank and insisted I take everything he has so I wouldn't have to start a new aquarium.... Mistake number 1 lol! This is where I am at please feel free to criticize and suggest that I add or subtract anything.
29gal tank
Vortech MP10W ECO smart driver
Aquatic life light LF2-30 4x24w
Fluval 50 aquaclear power filter hang on type
Marineland maxi-jet 1200
Remora-S hang on skimmer aquaC
Salinity .022
78° F
Been doing water changes 30% a week cause I had high nitrates and used product AZ-NO3 building up each day a d tappered down got zero nitrates now. Use a 1/2 t of Kent liquid calcium each day and had to use Kent marine supper buffer DKH because my PH was very low. 3 weeks in my water is good and I have learned a lot.
Been cleaning the protein skimmer each day also. So any help I would be greatful

1 bicolor dottyback came with tank
1 sm blue damselfish
1 black and white ocellaris clown came with tank
1 ocellaris clown came with tank
1 kauderns cardinal
1 condy anemone about 7" across which I found out after fact don't host fish?
Bought a puffer and he was stuck in powerhead and lost an eye and died my fault since then I put a screen on end of powerhead.

I personally would look into getting some live rock. Once you get enough live rock you could them get rid of the HOB filter which will create Nitrates.

Sorry I got about 40lbs of live rock with purple spots on it. Had a ton of green and black fury stuff on it but cleaned it and reduced the light for a while untill it cleared up.

+1 Sidekick.

Basic rule of thumb is one small fish per 10 gallons of water. That being said, you're at your stocking limit.

Frankly, I'd get rid of the damsel. They can get territorial (especially once they get bigger). I'd take the nem back as well. Like you said, Condys typically don't host clowns (there are exceptions). They also need a lot of light. What are you running for that?

And welcome to the site!

Auquatic life light got three settings white, blue, night? Its and LR2-30 says 4x24 watt I have no clue how long to put on or which color light prob give them 4-5 hours of blue and white light mixed and an hour of night light.

That tank is already overstocked with the current fish, so I would advise against adding any more fish to the system, especially things like puffers which are far too large for a tank that size

As others have said, the hang on filter can be taken offline

I'd also stop dosing things like liquid calcium until you establish that you need to be dosing, and when that point does come, I would look into dosing two part, it's cheaper than going the Kent route

Auquatic life light got three settings white, blue, night? Its and LR2-30 says 4x24 watt I have no clue how long to put on or which color light prob give them 4-5 hours of blue and white light mixed and an hour of night light.

Sounds like a T5 fixture. They typically would have an blue/purple actinic and a daylight (10-12k) bulb right out of the box.

My light schedule (and I have a different blend of bulbs now but for the sake of answering the question):

Blues - 12noon to 9pm
Whites - 2pm to 7:30pm
Night - 8:45pm to 3am

The time of day isn't really the concern, more the overall photoperiod length (how long they are on for)

Back