30 gal Setup

mouora

Reefing newb
I know this is not ideal size but got it for free. Had a saltwater tank a while back so I know a few basics. My first question is, I have two filters, ones rated at 40 and i am not sure about the other. Can I just run both of them? Planning on being a FOWLR tank. Then, next question is, do I need a power head if I am running two filters? The water movement right now seems to be really good. Last question, is a protein skimmer necessary? And if so can someone suggest a good one for me? Thanks
smile.gif

If your going without a sump. I have a 20 gallon long and use the aquaticlife 115 protein skimmer it hangs on the back and works great. Not sure what size tank it's rated for though believe it was 30. As for the filters from what I've read they become nitrate traps. Sucking up food, poop junk and then your water is constantly flowing through that. Now I had an HOB filter on mine when I first started with no filter in it though I used just for flow and it worked great. Personally I'd go without the filters get a protein skimmer and like 30 pounds of live rock and you should be good with water changes. I'm sure Fish require flow as well though mostly it's for Corals so maybe grab a power head just to get some movement in the tank and to ripple the surface for oxygen. Hopefully others will chime in too. With whatever you do good luck! Can't wait to see it. :)

I use a HOB filter stuffed with rubble rock for flow. But I also have a 425 Koralia and plan on another soon. But that's in a 20 long. I would say at least 2ststrategically placed 425's in a 30, if not more. I don't use a skimmer, personally, water changes are usually good enough unless you plan on an SPS heavy tank. And I do 12.5% changes weekly.

Back