30 Gallon Bow Front

Tetra1

Reefing newb
So, after discussing things earlier I went to pick up my tank today and what to my surprise, the people misinformed me. The tank is a bow front and I have always wanted one, yeah me! Anyway, I need to know how to set up a refugium. I have never used one and I heard that was a good way to do things in addition to my setting up of the tank. How do I do this for a 30 gallon tank, what size does it need to be and what all do I have to do. I am stupid in this field. Also, what type of heating element do I need. Thanks.

Kat:question:

You can use any kind of aquarium heater. None of them are really better than others -- they all seem to break eventually! :lol:

People usually set up the refugium inside the sump. If you are not going to do a sump, then you may want to look at HOB (hang on back) refugiums. Those usually are the best choice for small tanks.

what can I use for a hang on the back refugium. I have a ton of old filters. I read somewhere that those work. Let me know, thanks for all of your help.

Yeah, an HOB filter can pretty easily be converted to an HOB refugium. The most important thing is it needs to get light in the top, because you'll be growing macroalgae in it. I think one of the most common ones converted to a fuge is the AquaClear brand of filters.

Back