30 Gallon Long

So I would need the lighting, heating, skimmer and a couple powerheads? What are my options for decent (price and quality) lighting that would support corals in the future, as well as being suitable for fish?

My main motivation for the filtration other than the rock was for polishing pads...is there any way I can do this without a filter? Or would it be possible to run a filter with just the polishing element and no mechanical/chemical filtration in it?

I think I'm slowly getting the ideas for the equipment I'll be purchasing. : ]

Honestly, i tend to think its better for your corals if you leave the water a little dirtier, that is how they get their food after all. If you absolutely must polish the water, i would run a HOB mechanical filter with carbon in it once a month.

I would look into a 4 bulb t5 fixture or an LED fixture for the tank

I'm not sure what price range your looking at for a light fixture but you should look into a Kissel a150 LED fixture. I'm contemplating picking one up for my 29g. They're about the size of a coke can, equivalent to a 150w MH but only runs at 38w, and the fixture uses a purpose built LED module, instead of off the shelf fixtures that other companies are using. The only con that I've found about them is that they're hard to come by, unless you don't mind being on a pre order list.

Again, this tank is ideally going to be on a very loose budget. I haven't said $200 for a light and $100 for a skimmer, however, I would like it to stay under $1000 for the whole setup, including the tank and stand.
I think I may go with the 4-bulb T5HO fixture. What bulbs should I use for fish and coral? I also plan on using 3-4 blue LED's for moonlighting. (All the lights will be on a timer.)

Hey, big question. What would you consider my stocking level to be? i.e. light, normal, heavy. I'd like to think light, but then again, saltwater is much different than freshwater...

In saltwater you only want one fish for every 10 gallons, so for your 30 gals I would go with 3 fish, or 4 at the max. Remember to wait at least 3 weeks between additions, unless you are adding a pair of clowns. In that case they should be added together to reduce fighting between them.

2 clowns, a mandarin dragonet, a royal gramma and a sand-sifting kinda goby? Ive decided to go with a 38, instead just for a little extra space. Then, I would do my cleaners. Id like a couple hermits, snails, shrimp and a star. Is that possible? How many of each could I do and what kinds would be best? Remember please that there will be corals and a nem in the future.

I would get some sort of serpent star, they will be an excellent member of your CUC. I would check out reefcleaners.org and get a variety of different things for your CUC. For shrimp, go with what you like, cleaner shrimp are very cool, as are blood shrimp.

I would wait to add the mandarine until the tank is well established, and i wouldnt put one in a tank that small with out a refuge. Even the ones that eat frozen dont seem to do as well in the small tanks because there doesnt seem to be enough food for them to graze on.

6-8 months for the Mandarin and a year for an anemone? How long do I cycle before a pair of clowns and then how long for other fish.after that?

The cycle shouldnt take more than a few weeks, less if you have more live rock than dry rock. As soon as the cycle is done you can add the pair of clowns. Then i would wait a month to add the royal gamma and just add corals until the tank is ready for the mandarine and nem.

Nothing good happens fast in this hobby

I absolutely can't have a pair of clowns, a royal gramma, goby and the dragonet? :''''''''[

Then I would have to give up the basslet. How would the CUC play into effect?
Idea:
x2 Blue Hermits
x2 Red Hermits
x2 Emerald Crabs
x2 Trapezia rufopunctata
x2 Cleaner/Fire Shrimp
x5 Turbo/Nassarius Snails
x1 Serpent Star

I would increase the number of snails, and im not sure how you would get ahold of the Trapezia, ive never seen anything like that for sale.

Also you have to remember that the fish have to live in that tank, they cant get up and move away if one fish is bullying them. Further more there is only a specific amount of oxygen in the water, plus each tank can only handle so much bioload. Too much and you have water quality issues that effect the healthy of all your animals.

You probably could have all those fish in there, but i wouldnt put them in there in the first few months, and i would be ready to remove a fish if its getting bullied by one of the other inhabitants or you start having water quality issues.

Back