30 Gallon Long

Some things to keep in mind... :D

If you are keeping lps corals, it is best to keep hermits at a minimum. Also the hermits will kill any snails for a meal+shell.

The fire shrimp may eat polyps (zoanthus, mushrooms, star polyps, etc. as well as feather dusters.)

I do not recommend keeping chromis in tanks less than 40 gal because you must a decent # of them to diffuse aggression, and smaller tanks have less real estate for the fish.

The trapezia lives in total dependence to its host (acropora corals). It may likely die in short order without a host.

Start out w/ 1 snail per 10 gallons.

Could I maybe have one or two hermits, then? Ill stick with cleaner shrimp for this tank, possibly 2? And I will probably skip the Trapezia for this tank, too. 4 turbos? And no chromis.

you can add them whenever, but that means you will have to give up another fish

Some things to keep in mind... :D

If you are keeping lps corals, it is best to keep hermits at a minimum. Also the hermits will kill any snails for a meal+shell.

The fire shrimp may eat polyps (zoanthus, mushrooms, star polyps, etc. as well as feather dusters.)

I do not recommend keeping chromis in tanks less than 40 gal because you must a decent # of them to diffuse aggression, and smaller tanks have less real estate for the fish.

The trapezia lives in total dependence to its host (acropora corals). It may likely die in short order without a host.

Start out w/ 1 snail per 10 gallons.

The fire shrimp is a type of cleaner shrimp....IMO. There reef safe

I'm not sure why you can't keep hermits with LPS. I've got plenty of hermits in my tank and just as many LPS corals. I would get only 1 turbo, they get big and are quite clumsy.

+1 brian and 1 snail per 3 gallons isnt right. so 3 snails in his 30 gallon? i would get more like 7-10 also hermits and lps are fine

What are the chances that I could have at least one clam?
Corals list:
German Blue Finger
Either Blue or Green Clam
Purple Sebae Anemone
Eye of Jupiter
Fruitloop Zoas
Plain Blue, Green & Purple Zoas
Mushrooms (I'm not sure which)
Acropora
Red, Green & Blue Brain Coral

Thats fine, I would like to have all the fish and inverts, first. What lighting would you reccomend? Im new to saltwater, let alone corals...

Ya, those are really hard to keep because the are primarily filter feeders and most tanks just dont produce enough food to sustain them. I might be tempted to try them in a large, well established tank, but not in a smaller one.

Okay. I think you've seen my 300 gallon thread, what about in there? Also, what do you know about an ice blue candy cane or a sun coral?

Candy canes would do great in either of your tanks! They are a great, easy LPS coral to care for.

The sea fan I would try in the 300 gal after its been set up for awhile and you have a pretty well established ecosystem in there.

The sun corals are an LPS coral so they arent too demanding about water conditions, BUT they are non-photosynethic, so you have to feed every individual polyp every 3 or 4 days. You can train them to open up during the day so its easier to feed them, but you will have to go through a training stage where you get them to open when the lights are on. To me, its too much of a pain trying feed every polyp and go through the training stage to be worth it, but to many people its beauty is worth the pain. So once again, its your choice about what you want to do.

Okay. Any specific fingers come to mind as a good starter? Again, I kinda want the whole tank stocked first. CUC first, then fish, then corals. Eventually the mandarin and the nem after probably 8-12 months. What are rules for stocking corals?

Back