300 gallon reef plans..

Sheriff

Reefing newb
Time to research what is needed to start my 300g reef build.. so far this is what I have (pen to paper),

- 300g tank 72x36x27

- Odyssea 72" Metal Halide System Advance Plus (x3 250w MH x4 80w T5 H/O) 1070w total (Is this enough light for a 300g reef?)

- Eshopps RS-300 Reef Sump rated for 300g (Decieded to buy a sump instead of a DIY sump)

- x3 Hydro Koralia 8's

- Reef Octopus Extreme XS350 In Sump Skimmer - Up to 400 gal.
Super Reef Octopus XP-5000 Internal Protein Skimmer up to 450ish gals.
(not really sure what i want to do here...)

-UV sterilizer

- 2-3 250w heaters

**** So far this is what I have down so far and may be subject to change.. suggestions comments concerns are welcome! thanks.

If you are going to build a tank this big, worth that much money, I would invest in better lighting.
Although very good for the money, all the bulbs and ballasts really should be changed from the Aquatraders stock.
Personally, I would look into LEDs if I were you. Thats my 2 cents. :)

I would love LEDs! I will look into it.. though most of the LEDs ive seen have been anywhere from 2500 to 4k lol we'll see what happens.. I just placed my custom mahogany cabinet and canopy order.. cant wait! will post pictures when it arrives for sure.

as for the other equipement I have listed.. what are your thoughts?

All looks good to me, I would go with the larger rated skimmer due to the amount of bioload, and since they are both Reef Octo, not a hard decision, both good skimmers.
All looks good mate. Just make sure you read into stuff, check the reviews ect.

DUDE build your own LED lighting. trust me it is soooooooo worth looking into and reading up on.
Reasearch: free
all of the parts for the lighting i got and built is from Ebay
i got 3 heatsinks
60 5watt LEDs (5 differnt colors royal blue, cool, warm, nutral white, and yellow)
5 drivers
1 controler with computer program
1 tube thermal glue
for about 380 bucks.
i got my sauder gun and sauder from radioshack
and the cooling fans from there as well
all and all i spent about 570 bucks with all the shipping and stuff compaired to the 2000+ for radions and ect. when i can spend 600 bucks and get better results. it just took some time for me to build. you save sooooo much money and on top of that the controler i have has a program with it were you can have clouds pass by and have storms and ect. I have a UV on my 150 gallion reef tank and i like it. so i would keep it. but not have it on all the time. have it on a timmer like i do so it is only on for 5 hours out of the day.

There are no light that long, you will need to put together multiple units. I would suggest going with LEDs as well and also skip the sterilizer too

I will be having my lfs servicing my tank weekly to keep up with regular maintence while im working or spending time with the family etc etc. I will most def. put in time and work but not nearly as much where it will run my life lol.

I want my 300g tank to be crystal clear.. i was thinking of running carbon but also thinking about running a UV..

I think that is not the greatest line of thinking for a reef tank. Those tiny particles are good for your corals and some types of fish

The UV sterilizer isn't going to do much good for the tank, but it will kill things that we typically WANT in our reef tanks. Leave it out imo.

As for the rest....

If you want to go the top-of-the-line route on the LEDs look into EcoTech Radion LEDs....if you want above average look into the AI Sol or AI Vegas. Alternatively, you can find Taotronics LEDs for <$200 on Ebay that will work...although I don't know what kind of penetration they get for if they will be good for a tank that is as deep as yours is likely to be.

The only EcoTech Radion LEDs on ebay that is on sale for under 200 dollars will not be strong enough and you would also have to buy multiple strips to fit your tanks size.
I have done my reasearch in the world of LEDs and i have made my own LEDs and i got the results of a $5000 dollar system with the programing. all it takes is work in the part for the hobbiest. i spent 2 days with a total of 8 hours in my lighting and i only spent 600 bucks. i have the ability to have sunrise, sunset, cloude passing, storms, lighting, etc. I think it is one of the best investments i have ever done in my reef tank.
and i think it would be a good idea for the carbon and U.V. I have 2 12x14 carbon bags a U.V. that only runs for 1 hour every 6 hours. and my water is as clear as bottled water.

everyone runs there tanks diffrently and it is alwas what you like and what works for you. it is going to be a lot of ups and downs but overall all the work and effert you put in your tank to make it your way and have it the way you want it makes it all worth it when you sitdown and have a cold one and say "I built that, and helped it grow to this beutifull tank."

but what i was sayin is "make it your reef, not everyones reef" my reef tank is an example of me. I am hard working and i love to work with my hands so i am going to make my own lighting and stand and drilling of the tank. I built my lighting and built my stand and sump. so if you like to work with your hands and get a little dirty than make your own lighting and stand. (unless you already have it lol)
YEA it is going to take time and reasearch but in the end you will know how to build it all and you will SAVE MONEY. and when your dealing with saltwater you need to save money were you can.

if your looking for some leds i would look at the new maxspect razor 160w. A friend just got these and they're badas$. all his coral are doing so much better.
he got them here with a 10% promo code
Maxspect Razor 160w LED Lighting System
heres a review they did on the same lights
Maxspect R420R | CoralVue

those are really nice and sleek looking LEDs. but for the price they want and to cover the area he is needing he would need at least 2 or 3. that is 500 a pop plus shipping.
i still think it would be easyer to make them lol but they are NICE.

Back