300 Gallon Reef!

ps the spotted shrimp is a blood red fire shrimp

PPS spotted cleaner shrimp are spotted cleaner shrimp ;)
e-ReefNews, Vol. 6, No. 2 - Colorful Spotted Cleaner Shrimp at Tori's Reef, Bonaire

shrmp216.jpg

PLEASE, PLEASE , PLEASE skip the canister filter . I would be looking more into the range of a 100g sump along with probably 40-50g fuge if it were me. Not to come off sounding like an ass, but it sounds like you have a TON of research you still need to do before starting this tank. You are on the right track by asking questions, I just hope you take the information you get and use it .

Good Luck

First off I think you don't really want a bundle like that with such a large tank. You could probably save money buying everything separately. I don't know where you'd be able to get a good glass 300 gallon tank tough...

This is going to be a huge, all-out show tank. I don't mean to come off as rude, but I'm going to be getting the best of everything, no matter the price because I'd rather have everything right the first time than spend more in the long run to upgrade, aside from upgrades as new, better equipment comes out (but even then, I'm not sure I would switch if everything I have is working as it should.) Thank you for the brands, though! I'll get online and look one of these days. :Cheers:

Oh yah... :bounce:

RE-D300-EX Premium Aquatics - RE-D300-EX Aquarium Supplies

Several of these... EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w LED Light Fixture

Several of these... EcoTech Marine MP60 Vortech Propeller Pump w/ EcoSMART Driver

Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor with Eheim Pump

That's a good heater, I'm using the 200w version on my 75.

What's the next closest (standard) size to a 300?

From GlassCages.com:
280 - 6 Wide
72 x 36 x 25 Tall
I would strongly caution you against getting a tank from GlassCages. There are a TON of reviews online about poor workmanship (unevenly cut glass, poor silicone work, silicone seals busting/leaking, and even glass panes breaking under pressure). If you're going for a custom built tank, I'd search for some other reputable companies out there.

The following links are just to give you a reference point as far as sizing goes.

Complete Aquarium Kits with Stands: Marineland LED Standard Monterey Super Systems
265 Gallon Standard w/ four 36-48" Double Bright LED
84" x 24" x 30"H
Complete Aquarium Kits with Stands: Marineland Monterey Deep Dimension LED Super Systems
300 Gallon Deep Dimension Standard w/ four 36-48" Double Bright LED
72" x 36" x 63-1/2" high

Actually, that's the tank I was originally looking at, however it had different lights. I might look more into that particular bundle.

Welcome!!

Great start to the life long obsession :D I would skip an urchin honestly if you were still thinking about it. Especially if you want corals. I have a long spine urchin and as cool as it is to watch, it makes working around the tank harder for me, I always have to be aware of where he is.... and the fact that really made me dislike them is when I walked into my LFS and they had a display tank filled with them and the sizes they get to was insane. Plus they knock crap over as they move along the rocks.

Copperband Butterfly- avoid please. These fish shouldn't be in the home aquarium... they are similar to the moorish idols in the fact that for all the thousands of people who try them, most end up dying. I work in an aquarium and even WE don't have them on display-they are better off left in the wild. awesome fish, I'd love to have one myself, they jsut don't go in the tanks tho

:)

I have a copperband butterfly and he thrives in my tank. Even after losing power for 8 days he survived and is doing fabulous.

It's a great start.. I personally dislike royal grammas, I have one and they are never out, only for food and I don't think they're so pretty. And dont go for the mandarin, they are super hard to care for and you'll probably never see it in a take that big.. if I'm wrong someone can correct me but that's my two cents.

Hi, just wondering if you did start on the 300 yet. I can offer some advice if you are going this route. I can offer some pros and cons of the equipment and livestock from my experiences. I have come a long way and have wasted a lot of money in the past year and a half. Hopefully I can help you with some ideas and can save you some heartache.
Rob.

Ok, well I have a 300 and there is one major thing to take into consideration. Lighting! That will be your biggest hurdle at first. Halides will heat your neighborhood. Led's will cost you the value of a neighborhood. 600 is pretty impressive, but do consider the bedroom sized equipment room you will need. I say go for it but the cost will quadruple if not more to go from a 300-600. I have had freshwater systems in the upper 800 range and it is astronomical in the cost elevation but well worth it in my opinion. Have you planned out the equipment you are interested in?

Haha. Im still playing lotto. Not really. No, I havent. I like a 96x48x30 inch tank, though. Id like to do halides, probably 4x48" fixtures. 250 HQI 12,000 and 4x54 Actinic T5.

I think you'd be far better off with LED lights than halides. They cost more, but in the end will save you far more in energy costs and bulb replacement. You also won't need a chiller to cool down the tank or run air conditioners in your house to cool down your house! And the big name ones are modular so you can add more as you go and do pretty neat things with them like mimic thunderstorms, passing clouds, etc. Aqua Illuminations is coming out with a new model soon that should be a really sweet deal that you might want to check out! Can't wait until you actually get this project started, I'll definitely be following along :)

Back