300 gallon stock list( Is this a bad idea)

M3AN ONE

Reefing newb
300 gallon stock list( Is this a bad idea)
These are the fish I have decided are going to be going into my 300. This is the order I would like to put them in the tank (open to suggestions). For some fish I think it woud be a good Idea to add them 2-3 at time due to there known agression levels.

Each fish will under go a 21 day quarentine in a 20 gallon QT tank. Would it be good to have multiple quarentine tanks to reduce stress on QT fish and also so that the fish will not fight in the quarentine or is that over killl.

1st group
1Powder blue 2-3 inches
1Chocolate tang 2-3 inches
1Indonesian powder blue 2-3
2nd group 45 after first group is introduced into main tank
1Blonde naso tang 2-3 inches
1 male Crosshatch trigger
1 male blue throat trigger
3rd group 45 after first group is introduced into main tank
3 yellow tangs 2-3 inches
4th group 45 after first group is introduced into main tank
1Purple/yellow tail tang 2-3 inches
1Spotted sailfin tang 2-3 inches
1Indian dasani tang 2-3 inches
5th group 45 after first group is introduced into main tank
1Archilles tang 2-3 inches
1Red sea sohal tang 2-3 inches
1Archilles gold rim hybrid tang
15 fish total or is this overstocked???

Last edited:
9 tangs in a 6ft tank? Multiple acanthurus and zebrasoma, some of the same type? You are setting yourself for diaster. Sorry to disappoint.

You can have multiples of the same kind as long as they're introduced at the same time. A school of yellow tangs is freaking awesome in a big enough tank.

That being said, I think that's too many fish. I've seen a full size regal tang in a 240 and he owned that tank, and a large but not full size sailfin in a 180 and he was looking cramped. Even in a 8ft long 300, I think all of those fish plus the two triggers is seriously pushing it. Maybe if you had a bunch of smaller fish to mix it up with a few tangs, but 13 tangs and 2 triggers? No freaking way.

6x3 feet
Is this over kill??
1Chocolate tang 2-3 inches
1Indonesian powder blue 2-3
1Blonde naso tang 2-3 inches
1 male Crosshatch trigger
1 male blue throat trigger
1 yellow tangs 2-3 inches
1Purple/yellow tail tang 2-3 inches
1Spotted sailfin tang 2-3 inches
1Red sea sohal tang 2-3 inches
1Archilles gold rim hybrid tang

There are 4 genus of tangs and your best bet is one species from each and no triggers. To fill in, you could do a school of chromis and/or firefish, a couple dwarf angels and a goby or blenny.

Seems like a lot of fish (original list) - if you can manage the aggression and the bioload - you may make it work. You will get a sense as you add the fish.

You should have multiple qt tanks if you are sourcing fish from different places. If you only buy little guys (2 inches or so) to start you can probably get away wtih one qt tank. Some of the more uncommon tangs (achilles, sohol) - i only recall seeming medium to larger specimens on sale ever. If you are running a 21 day cycle - i would start with Cupramine in qt right away. I know others have different views on this but i use Curpamine to qt fish always. I would keep 2 qt tanks running at all times even after you qt'ed them - so that you don't have to "re-cycle" a new qt tank everytime.

I would add the triggers last. I find that powder blue can be very aggressive so you may not want to add them first. If you leave out the triggers you can run a reef tank too!

One thing you can do is to re-acclimate fish that are too aggressive. I have a 110 with 5 tangs. I added a yellow tang first and he became crazy aggressive with the other fish that i was adding - to the point where they wouldn't come out to eat. I took him out and put him in a 20 gallon for a couple of months - and then put him back in the display tank - he's a model citizen now.

Sounds like a fun adventure - good luck with it.

Back