300g tank setup questions

MustangMx

Reefing newb
Hey guys right now i have had a 90g tank running for about 2-3 years now and i am about to move to a new house the basement is unfinished and im planing on framing in a nice wall and putting the tank in the wall. What i was wondering was how much more or less is it to have a bigger tank? ie more work involved or less? As well as what would you guys recommend for equipment and lighting for this tank? It will be a reef tank and im also looking at doing pvc lines to everything unlike what i have now what is just rubber piping. Any help you guys can give would be great. ty

You should check out some of the other members tanks who have large tanks to get an idea. Larger tanks have a more expensive start up than smaller tanks, but overall, are easier to maintain and stock.

I'd say having a bigger tank is way more work. Getting everything set up would be a huge pain and expensive. One of the mods (Bifferwine) had a 240gal and hated it, downgraded to a 90 and was way happier.

I dont have one personally, but some buddies of mine, say it is hard and expensive to start up, but once you get going, somewhat easier.

For light I would go with metal halide, and if you're not on a budget a chiller would solve your heat problems.

Larger water volumes will stay in a more stable condition longer, but with larger tanks, you have larger starting and operating costs. As long as the electric bill isn't going to kill you, I say go for the largest tank that you can fit into your budget. I would have loved to go for an 8 ft tank, but in the house I'm living in I didn't really have a decent place to put a tank that size, so I went with a 6 ft

I think watching the HUGE tanks is effin awesome but the thought of doing a water change or trying to reach the back to get a fallen coral or dead fish really turns me off.

Now I still say if I become a millionaire I am totally getting one and hiring Deuce Bigalow to do the work LOL

I'm taking care of a 350g tank that wasn't my creation and I kinda got stuck with and though everyone says I hit a jackpot with getting a tank this size for free and fully stocked, it causes more stress on me then I want. And it takes up so much room in my basement apartment that it just isn't what I wanted atm... But it is one hell of a beautiful site when you just sit and look at it.

Basically, a 300 gallon tank would be more expensive in every way (start up cost, electricity, heat). But it's everyone's dream (at least mine :grumble:) to have such a big tank. So If it's something you really want, go for it!

Basically, a 300 gallon tank would be more expensive in every way (start up cost, electricity, heat). But it's everyone's dream (at least mine :grumble:) to have such a big tank. So If it's something you really want, go for it!

I agree, it's so beautiful too once it's established. If you can do it, do it!

Hey guys just wanted to get your thoughts on this equipment for the 300g tank

Lighting: Blau Lumina Plus 250150 4x80W + 3x250W
Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 300
Return Pump: Mag-Drive 2400 Supreme Water Pump
Power Heads: VorTech 3xMP40W ES Water Pump
Heaters: Not sure what one to go with
ATO: Tunze Osmolator
Media Reactors TLF Phosban 550
Controller. Neptune Apex – Ph, Temp, Power Integration with EcoTech Pumps
Calcium Supplemtation – Either a reactor or dosing
RO Filter. Vertex Puratek 100GPD

Any thoughts or changes you guys think I should make please let me know

Last edited:
I'm at work so I havent been able to look up some of the things on your list, but you definitely want MORE than one heater

Of all the things in our hobby, those are the most prone to fail. If you have one big ass heater that decides to stay in the on position it can cook your tank. If you have one big heater that decides it doesn't want to turn on, your tank can cool to dangerous levels. Its best to determine the wattage needed (usually you'll see 3-5 watts per gallon recommended) and split that among 2-3 heaters.

I personally run 3x 200 Watt heaters in my tank

Back