30G reef startup

Marinne13

Northern Reefer
I have been in the process of getting all the equipement I need to a 30G reef for a while now and I finally have everything

here is my list...I had a canister filter before and moved that to my 125G cichlid tank

I have a 30G tank with 40lbs of live sand, 10lbs of base rock, 45lbs of live Fiji rock, 2 powerheads with a combined flow of 950GPH, a Marineland 280 Biowheel (just used for phosphate media) and a Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB skimmer

my lighting right now is a 78W Coralife, I know that this won't work so I am in the process of finding a 150-200W light with lunar LED's...I have a timer so my lighting will be consistant

I am also only going to do soft corals or the easier ones and that will prob be 6-8 months down the road

what do you guys suggest for fish, I only want 3...was thinking clowns but I hear they can be a nightmare

In general, normal Ocellaris or Percula clowns make good additions to a reef tank. The ones that can cause issues (especially in smaller tanks) are the Maroon clowns. In a 30 gallon you're looking at somewhere between 2-4 fish total, so you'll have to decide if a pair of clowns is important to you

Here are some others that you could consider
Nano Fish

I have looked on liveaquaria...I know for a fact that I want a Goby, just can't decide as there are many different kinds

my 2 favorite are the Yellow Prawn and the Orange spotted...I am not dead set on a pair of clowns

I was looking at the black ocellaris clowns

I know I am limited that's why I am only going with 3 fish

Yes you are on the right track. I have been looking at the same clowns for my 45. Right now in my tank I have a green chromis, purple dottyback and a mandarin. I love the look of the black and white clowns. I pretty much think that a pair of clowns will be my last addition. They are listed a semi aggressive. Saved them for last so they dont pick on the other fish. If I where you I would add the goby first then either the pair of clowns or maybe forget the clowns and go with firefish or yellow striped cardinal fish. I tend to think that keeping peaceful with peaceful and semi aggressive with the same is a good idea.

So far in my tank the purple dotty back has left my mandarin alone but he charges the green chromis. Well be interesting to see how he interacts with the clowns. If I added a yellow striped cardinal I think he would be toast.

Anyway...there are so many options for fish choices it all boils down to if you really want clowns or not. I run a 4 bulb t5 on my tank and my shrooms and zoahs have doubled in the last two months.

yeah I just bought a Coralife 4bulb 156 watt fixture with lunar LED's...I am going to have them on a timer

what timing specs should I go with?

My actinic come on a hour before and stay on a hour after. So the actinic come on at noon the white at 1pm white off at 9pm and the actinic off at 10pm. I never set the timer on the led moon lights I just leave them on all the time.

I ordered 45lbs of live rock from liveaquaria, it's the Fiji rock and of course FedEx failed to put it on the plane so it arrived a day late

then FedEx did something genious!!! they drove it over 100 miles in 25 degree weather on a FedEx truck....so it was FROZEN

liveaquaria just shipped another box and it should be here tomorrow

I gave my LFS the 45lbs of frozen rock for some credit, not sure how much I will get but I don't want to cure it in a seperate container. I wouldn't be able to fit 90lbs of rock in my 30 anyway lol

Last edited:
Hmmmm so do they want the frozen rock back? yes it was stupid but if they dont want it back...you just got a bunch of free rock...

they don't want it back...I gave it to my LFS for some credit, we have a pretty good relationship. I really don't want to cure it seperate in a container, maybe I will get a free pair of clowns when the time comes :D

he isn't your typical pet store owner, he refuses to sell to people if they don't have what a fish/tank needs

Last edited:
he is super picky...he wears gloves that go past your elbows everytime he has to move LR or mess with his SW tanks

I was in there the other day and a couple had bought a 55 gallon tank, heater, filter and everything you need for a FW tank...they totally started looking at fish and he was like "you know that I won't sell you fish for at least a week"

Nice...thats a great guy that obviously loves the hobby...My fish guy is similar...I try and buy most of my stuff there. Support the business, there are times that I just have to go online...I dont mind a couple extra bucks but if its more then that...just cant do it.

I agree, he wanted like $7 a pound for his live rock...I got it for under $3 from liveaquaria, couldn't spend $300 on rock from him even though he is 2 blocks away

So I totally went on a roadtrip this Saturday down to Bismark ND...they have a decent saltwater LFS down there

They were selling a 75G tank with holes drilled for a sump and the chamber for $150!!!!! that was with the stand and canopy!!!

I totally bought it and am going to start a 75G with sump...it is used but they tested it for leaks and it was good to go, they said they have been trying to sell it for $500 the last 6 months and no takers so they said screw it

Last edited:
I have a 40g and I currently have 1 Black & White Ocellaris, 1 Normal Ocellaris, and 1 Flame Angel. I added the clown pair first and they have not picked on the flame angel what so over. If you go with Ocellaris (they are a little less aggressive than Perc) and get them when they are small you should be fine.

Back