#30gallon Fish.

daave

Reefing newb
Alrightee! I have a 35gallon Reef Tank. What fishes will be good to put in a 30 Gallon tank with my Black Damsel that doesnt seem very aggresive and with my Blue Hippo Tang.
Also that will be able to live Reef Safe without killing my Inverts.
Like my Red Blood Shrimp. ( :

Tang police, haha!

Well, for one thing, tangs do not do well at all in tanks that size. Especially hippo tangs. A hippo tang needs at least 75 gallons, and some say even 100 gallons to do well. They have high metabolisms, use a lot of oxygen, and need to swim a lot, so they need long tanks (at least 4 feet long). Hippo tangs get stressed and sick very easily.

If I were you, I'd trade the hippo tang in for a more suitable fish. Some reef safe fish you could consider are: six line wrasse, red or purple firefish, banggai or pajama cardinal, clownfish, green chromis, pretty much any type of goby or blenny, grammas, pseudochromis, and flasher/fairy wrasses. Coral beauty and flame angels are reef safe about half the time, but sometimes they'll go after corals, so if it's up to you if you want to risk that.

tangpolice.jpg

I gotta agree with Sniffles and Biff on the tang.
But for your question,about any of the blennies will work.The smaller fairy wrasses,fire fish,clowns.

I'll be thinking about the Blennies and Fire Fish. But for fire fish do you need 2 for them to be happy?
edit, We might be getting "Bicolor Blenny" do you think he will live fine with my Damsel? Anything special for him?

Last edited:
The bicolor blenny should be just fine, as long as your damsel doesn't start being aggressive. There's a chance the damsel could be aggressive towards anything that you add, though. I have a blue damsel that I've had for years. When I first got him, he'd even shred corals that I put in his territory. He would also kill any fish in the tank that was smaller than him. He's mellowed out in his old age :)

Thanks BifferWine!
I read that the Bicolor Is also territorial. I'll be reading about them before I purchase.
Thanks dcan ( :
Also Biffer, We still hadn't made up our mind yet. Do you think Lawnmower Blennies
Or Scooter Blennies will be fine? Cause I just checked them out and they look pretty cute

A lawnmower would be good and a scooter to.You could actually do both of those because the scooters not realy a blenny,their a dragonet like the mandrines.
The Bi-Color blenny would be good,just not with a lawnmower.

Also daave, you are only looking at successfully putting 3-4 fish MAX in a tank that size.

I have a 30 nano with (4) fish and that seems to be the right quantity.

You can add a clownfish pair and a cool blenny and call it a day.

I have a clown pair, purplehead wrasse and a pj cardinal in there and they all get along....and are reef safe.

Also, welcome to the site.

If you get a blenny make sure you see it eat at the LFS. Many come home and then wont eat usually starving to death.

+3 to biff with the tang, see if your LFS will let you trade it for some other fish...

bicolor blennies are so awesome! I had one called barnacle Bill who lived in a barnacle.. he did great with all my fish :)

Back