30gl Fresh water !!!!!

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
So since we now pretty much have all the fish we are going to get in the 125gl tank, i took down the QT tank and cleaned it out. I just filled it with new RO/DI water and im starting the cycling process for the fresh water fish. This is going tobe strickly my Wifes thing and shes going to do all the decor and everything. Shes ben bugging because the saltwater has become a me thing lol. Not my Fault... So yeah as of right now its ben 3 days and where waiting for it to cycle. She plans on doing guramies and angel and some sword tail and stuff like that. It has a hang on back filter rated up to 100gl so it shouold have plenty of filtration. Ill post up pictures as it come along.

Plus any ways i still have a couple 20 gl i can use in case of a emergency for the salt water tank lol.

I'd suggest against the angel in a mixed tank. They don't really do well with fast-swimming fish like gouramis and swordtails.

Iv actually had angels before in My mix tanks and they alwys seem to be the mean ones. I Have done fresh water alot in the past. Never had issues with angels in mixed tanks. But ill keep it in mind.

Useto have a 60 gl with 2 huge angels who started out tiny. they where in there with pairs of guramis, sword tails, molies, a little of everything lol and that tank was great for years. I even had a beta in there LOL.

I was going to start my betta tank with RO/DI and after doing my research found that it is too pure for the fish to go into. You will need to add some of the freshwater salts. For the same reason that we cannot drink the RO/DI, fish can't survive in it. It's too pure. Something about osmotic pressure...Of course that doesn't apply to our marine systems because we are mixing salt into it for our tanks. Just thought I would give you a heads up.
I decided to use tap for my freshwater fish.

I'd suggest against the angel in a mixed tank. They don't really do well with fast-swimming fish like gouramis and swordtails.

I have a gourmai and angel together they do just fine in a 125gallon tank. If anything my angel is more aggressive then the gourami. Also I have shovelnoise catfish, eclipse catfish, and pictus catfish in the tank.

I was going to start my betta tank with RO/DI and after doing my research found that it is too pure for the fish to go into. You will need to add some of the freshwater salts. For the same reason that we cannot drink the RO/DI, fish can't survive in it. It's too pure. Something about osmotic pressure...Of course that doesn't apply to our marine systems because we are mixing salt into it for our tanks. Just thought I would give you a heads up.

Yeah ill take that into consideration, i might go pick up some aquarium salt and add a bit of it before i get any fish. Still have not gotten a spike in ammonia or anything yet. waiting for it to cycle still. I Add dead shrimp and a bit of fish food.

+1

What I usually do for my fresh water is use tap water that was filtered via my refrigerator and use API tap water conditioner and add fresh salts.

What i have in my 35g tank is:
1 angelfish
a group of corys for the bottom
a few skirt tetras
1 female betta
a pair of sword tails
and a school of zebra danios for some movement.

That group of fish worked great for me, no fighting or fin nipping.

For my 10gal freshwater tank, I mix in 1/2 cup of salt mix for every 10 gallons of RO water (RO only, not RO/DI).
Fish seem to really like it.

yeah i got some ro water i have ben using for top off this last week, I already mixed in a bit of aquarium salt and my ammonia is finally spiking. Hopefully My Wife will be able to put in fish by this next weekend coming up .

Back