35g hex tank update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to copy over a post by Bifferwine, which pretty much sums up this entire situation with the blue tang and many other fish/coral. You really should think about this.

That is from this thread: https://www.livingreefs.com/newbie-...wbie-mistakes-weve-all-been-there-t41904.html

I would also like to add that even if this tang was in a properly sized tank, it would be highly unlikely that he is going to make it anyways. When they are that tiny they have pretty much just settled out the larval phase and they need to eat about 30 times a day, which is something you cant provide. Plus you have no idea how long its been since that tang was fed. It can be a few weeks between collection and getting to a LFS, where they still might not be fed. For the one that makes it, its not unrealistic to figure that 15-20 didnt.

Finally, I question where you got the experience to know wether or not that fish is behaving normally. You have only had this tank for about a month and you have only had clownfish which are in vastly different area of behavior patterns than tangs.

My point is simple....fish behavior is recorded...and simply opinionated... not a definite fact... u nor anyone here knows what a fish feels... me included...I take ur knowledge and make my interpretation of it and make my own decisions...I take ur criticism with a grain of salt as well as others... IMO the fish is acting like a fish... unless I see otherwise will I determine otherwise!!

Its all funny....now I'm being judged from every angle...lol, well there's only one way to see what's gonna happen...I'll try my best to do what the lil guy needs as far as upkeep... but if he doesn't make it then he doesn't make it....obviously it will sux but its a learning process....recommended doesn't mean necessary.... which all of u seem to have confused...cause if that was the case no one would have clowns in tiny tanks....so stop the bickering with the tang.... this isn't my first setup...u live and u learn....I'll be the bad guy and I'm taking all feedback with welcome...but just cause everyone disagrees with this I'll make sure I give updates weekly....animals die everyday....hopefully mine will make it

I dont know why people just cant get through there heads that a fish is still a liveing thing! People die all the time too but does that still mean we should put people in a closet and say "if you die you die, it happens all the time" ?? NO!!!

-breath in breath out-

U should learn math....ratio....us in a closet to a 1 inch fish to a 35g tank is not the same....not even close...but thx for the inaccurate comparison!!

Have you even seen how certain fish swim lengthwise quickly, while others tend to stay in the same general area? That's called observation. It's not people sitting here trying to read a fish's mind. I actually do watch my fish. Each have their own behavior, and the dimensions of their tank does matter. A clownfish can be in a smaller tank because they're not constantly swimming from one end to the other. A tang, on the other hand, does nothing but swim the length of a tank most of the day. If I were you, I'd pay more attention to how a fish actually behaves and compare it to your little hexagon environment.

I watch them everyday so far...my clown fish are very active fyi...not to say every fish acts the same which for some reason u all think u can generalize all fish by the same characteristics.... weird....animals adapt in case you all didn't know...they can be resilient and survive under harsh conditions....not that I would subject mine to it....but I hear u on the observing...and as I do everyday I will continue...I'll keep u updated...next time my fish poops I'll let u know!!

It takes years and years (if not generations) for animals to adapt, first of all.

And you say you wouldn't subject your animals to harsh conditions, which is completely untrue.

That fish in that tank is harsh conditions. Plain and simple.

OK plain and simple...don't wry...u don't like it, look the other way...I'll keep u updated on Dori...

And It don't take years for animals to adapt...mad dumb status...depends on the animal...go watch the discovery channel and learn something before u drop ur 2 cents

Last edited:
go watch the discovery channel?? seriously,now you are just be ignorant because you know that fish should never be in your tank!!

If you don't care what people say then why do you keep trying to defend yourself, oh yeah because deep down there is something inside you saying...I probably shouldn't have this fish so I am going to convince myself that I am right

YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL, that fish needs 180 gallons at a minimum...what on Gods earth makes you think it will thrive in a 35G hex tank?

No one should EVER look the other way to animal cruelty!!!!

Ok people, I am all for telling him that you disagree but let chill out a little. We live in a free society and after all it is just a fish. It has a brain and nervous system the size of half a grain of salt. If people want to put this much effort into caring about living things then worry about humans, dogs, cats, and other intelligent/sentient animals. I am not disagreeing that the tang needs a bigger tank but come on we are getting a little bit too worked up here.

U should learn math....ratio....us in a closet to a 1 inch fish to a 35g tank is not the same....not even close...but thx for the inaccurate comparison!!

35g hex "23 x 20 x 24" a 2 inch fish would be able to swim 10 inches. In humen terms that would be a 10 foot closet. Most people have a 10 room closet or atleast a 10 foot bathroom. You do the math!

Personaly iwouldn't update us about dori, i would just update us when he is dead.

Ok people, I am all for telling him that you disagree but let chill out a little. We live in a free society and after all it is just a fish. It has a brain and nervous system the size of half a grain of salt. If people want to put this much effort into caring about living things then worry about humans, dogs, cats, and other intelligent/sentient animals. I am not disagreeing that the tang needs a bigger tank but come on we are getting a little bit too worked up here.

Its still a liveing thing.... doesn't matter is its a fish or a human its still a liveing thing. And just because we live in a free society still doesn't givesomeone the right to toture a animal. In the wild when animal attacks a animal they kill it they dont shove it in a tank and torture it for years.

And the hits just keep on rolling...love it!! But look at her so happy
IMG_20130307_112613_zps01433a0c.jpg

35g hex "23 x 20 x 24" a 2 inch fish would be able to swim 10 inches. In humen terms that would be a 10 foot closet. Most people have a 10 room closet or atleast a 10 foot bathroom. You do the math!

Personaly iwouldn't update us about dori, i would just update us when he is dead.

I see ur math is rusty cause somehow u got 10" of swimming....missing a few more numbers but its cool...and harry potter turned out fine in his closet...:^:

you are right, if you look REALLY close you can see the smile on her face...said NO ONE ever

One month on the scene...really .... u think anyone is listening to u cause u jump on the bandwagon? Why don't u wait for a cycle before u get ur feet wet sweety! :helm2:

I don't agree with your choice of fish either but you are obviously going to keep it so here are some things you need to know:
1. Small tangs are difficult at best to raise with a very low percentage making it---they are just fragile. The ones that tend to make it are the ones that eat more like the adults which is pretty much anything.
2. Meaty foods with extra algae nutrition like spirulina enriched brine/mysis or Formula 2's will help. As juveniles they don't graze as much as the teenager and adult tangs. In the aquarium, they seem to make the transition to algae much quicker.
3. I don't know if you have offered it any algae sheets or not? You need to get brown, red, green, purple algae sheets and it is better if you get some multiples from different brands to figure out which your fish likes best. Variate the feedings different colors from day to day as well as brands. Learn your fish "likes and dislikes". If it likes a particular color or brand more then the other then feed that one more often but still mix things up (i.e. if it likes red then feed the red every other day but put brown or green or purple on the days in between). They need variety!
4. The young tang needs to be fed often which means several times a day. Under feeding the young tang is more harmful at this stage of its life then overfeeding.

I have had a lot of experience with tangs over the years (yellow, purple, hippo, naso, scopas, sailfin, bristle tooth) and they all had different quirks. The hippo being one of the quirkiest but such an amazing animal in the right environment and conditions. As I said, I don't agree with what you are doing but I took the time to type this and hopefully you will take the time to read it and follow some useful advice if you must keep this fish. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back