36 gallon bow front

Thanks! Ive been trying to keep everything in check the last couple months it consumes you as im sure you know. Right now our 3 week old commands attn so hopefully my tank stays healthy

Ahaha yeah they do that. She is a lucky little girl to grow up with a tank :D I always loved fish growing up but couldnt get more that a goldfish bowl until i moved out on my own.

FTS shot got a new acan middle left, new lobo front and center, and a green plate coral right of the lobo!

Attachments

• tanked 003.jpg
    tanked 003.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,490
This looks awesome! Great job!

Do you ever view it from the back? Have you thought about a black background or painting the back black? It would make all your beautiful colors pop I think. :-D

Can't wait to see your 90g topic!

Hey thanks guys! Its been rough to keep up lately due to our newborn!!!, but ive done alright keeping params, water changes, and dosing in check. Yes.. I def need to paint the back of my tank, could i use window tint? Ill try to get some close ups of the corals soon maybe a video?!

My corals look mmeehhh not great this morning so i checked my parameters they are as follows,
Salinity - 1.030
Calcium - 480
Hardness - 9
Nitrates 20 to 30
Phosphates 0 to 15

Are these numbers that off from norm? I know the nitrates are slighty high as is the salinity.

Ideally nitrates are going to be <5 but <20 is usually ok. Any more, though can be bad and is likely one reason why they aren't opening up fully.

Salinity should definitely be brought down immediately. 1.026 is the upper range of tolerable for most creatures we stock in aquariums, and is around where natural seawater is typically....but much research has been done on this issue and it is actually beneficial to keep the salinity lower in the 1.022-1.024 range.
An added benefit of this, as well, is that if your salinity is 1.023 let's say and something happens where you may not be able to care for the tank as promptly as you'd like, evaporation will take longer to raise the salinity to dangerous levels. If it is already at 1.026 evaporation can cause headaches pretty quickly.

Another reason would be the phosphates. The first course of action there would be to identify where the phosphates are coming from (are they in the water you're using, some food maybe? Leeching out of the rock? etc.).
Then you can take steps to correct that issue. Corals are generally not tolerant of phosphate levels.

Last edited:
Back