36 gallon hex

Need Fish

Reefing newb
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to start a reef in my 36g hexagon tank, and I am having a issue finding: a new hood with the amount of light that I need, or will just one 18" LED bar be enough? :frustrat: I feel kind of dumb here so be gentle. I know I need around a 150 watts. This is all new to me I started out with a 55gal freshwater a couple years ago, and really want a saltwater reef. Please help.

Thank you,

Megan

Hex tanks will be tough to light because they tend to be very tall, but not very wide which limits your lighting options. I think you're going to need to look at either Metal Halide or one of the nicer LED fixtures to get the depth penetration you're going to need. I think most of the T5 fixtures wont fit easily over your tank

What are the tank dimensions?

Welcome Megan! How wide and how tall is your tank? You might try hanging a light if you have trouble finding something to fit on top of the tank.

Hello and Welcome!

I would suggest trying to find a different tank if its not too late. The hex tanks are really hard because of the lighting and for marine fish, having length is much more important than height.

Back