37 Gallon Build -Complete setup with pictures along the way

LongIslandFirearms

Reefing newb
Hello!
Thank you for viewing my post. I am new to saltwater. I have read and read online and in books. What's my goal? Im looking to house some fish, live rock and anemones

So.. here's a complete setup of what I am doing with pictures along the way to document and show other newbies what to expect. I will check in daily with pictures and water conditions. This (should be) a great way for all newbies to see what will happen when you setup a new tank. I've read all over the place, however cannot seem to find someone that did a documentary throughout the process. So, I found this site to be friendly and signed up :)

Setup / Equipment:

• 37 Gallon Tank (30x12x22) (Marineland 37 gallon)
  • EHEIM 2232 Wet/Dry Filter
  • Hydor ETH200 200 Watt External In-Line Heater for 1/2" Hose (not delivered yet, using 200W Intank heater for now)
  • Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer
  • Digital Water Thermometer
  • MarineLand Hydrometer
  • 20 pounds Nature's Ocean Bio-Active Aragonite Reef Sand
  • 16 pounds Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Substrate
  • 5 pounds Fiji Live Cured Rock from Local Pet Store
  • 22 pounds Premium Fiji Rock from Dr. Foster's and Smith (to be delivered today!) -ON SALE at Dr. Foster's! ($4.31 DELIVERED)
  • 50 'gallons' Instant Ocean Salt
  • Standard Light (for now)
  • Salt Water API testing Kit
  • Hydor Koralia 2 Circulation Pump/Powerhead UL 600 gph (purchase, not received yet).
At this moment:

Filter (with rock and carbon which came with system) is up and running. I used about 2/3 of the salt and waited about 5 hours for it to mix into the 37 gallon tank (used 30 gallons of my tap water). My tap water had ZERO traces of anything and I have been using it for 10+years in aquariums; with no issues (knock on wood).

I installed the heater that came with the new tank (hopefully my hydor will come soon, this ones cheap). The water is 78.8.

Five Hours Later:
I removed some water after the salt mixed well with the tap water using a fish net to use the tank as a mixing bowl. Checked with the hydrometer and its 1.025. (I made sure I washed the hydrometer once I was done testing). I added all the Reef Substrate and Sand. At this time the tank was really cloudy, which I've read is normal. *Do not add and live substrate until all the salt is dissolved.

One Day Later:
I've read that getting Liverock (LR) from your LP (Local Petstore) is best in the beginning because you will start the 'cycling' faster. However, rock at a local store isn't cheap (9.99 a pound!). So I bought 3 pounds. (BTW TIP: Ask the LP if they have LR in small pieces; they charged me 2.99 a pound!) So I got 2 pounds of the LR small pieces. Total in tank: 5 gallons.

Newbie salt water tip:
A "true" reading on those is based on water that is 60 degrees. For each 10 degrees rise, you subtract .001. So if your reading is 1.025 at 80 degrees, the real specific gravity in your system is 1.023. And I would take my sample from the middle of the tank, not just skimming the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the hobby. But I have found a few problems with you initial set up.
!. do not use a wet/dry filter. They can cause too many problems
2. Use a refractometer instead of a hydrometer. Better readings.
3. Do not use Instant Ocean if you are planning on keeping coral. It doesn't work too well.
4. Use a better skimmer than a Seaclone. They are not worth it in the long run. Coralife has a good one and Octopus are good as well.
5. You do not need to use Live sand. Once the live rocks are put in the sand will become live.

I did buy most of my rock from Drs. as well. I also use tap water in my 55 gallon as well. These are just some suggestions because I have had all of the above to the most part. It cost alot of money and time to find out things. But that is part of the hobby. But good luck!!

Welcome to the hobby. But I have found a few problems with you initial set up.
!. do not use a wet/dry filter. They can cause too many problems
2. Use a refractometer instead of a hydrometer. Better readings.
3. Do not use Instant Ocean if you are planning on keeping coral. It doesn't work too well.
4. Use a better skimmer than a Seaclone. They are not worth it in the long run. Coralife has a good one and Octopus are good as well.
5. You do not need to use Live sand. Once the live rocks are put in the sand will become live.

I did buy most of my rock from Drs. as well. I also use tap water in my 55 gallon as well. These are just some suggestions because I have had all of the above to the most part. It cost alot of money and time to find out things. But that is part of the hobby. But good luck!!

Thanks for your input!

I figure for the beginning a hydrometer will do just fine as long as the ranges are in order. Don't use a wet/dry? Everyone I've read says they are fine.. ? Im not keep coral, so I hope Instant Ocean is okay. I was told by many that the live sand and live rock will 'speed' the process up a little. I got a great deal on the live sand , so no harm no foul.

Pictures will be up in 2 hours!!

Check back soon (according to fedex, my 22 pounds of LR has arrived!!!) Since you never know what you are going to get when you order LR online, I will take pictures of how it was packed and what I got for 64.99 from Dr. Fosters. Its suppost to be 'premium' :)

Don't worry the live sand and stuff will not hurt your stuff. If its a great deal I usually buy it as well. For fish only I would probably use instant ocean too. Especially in the beginning.And for a fish only you can use a wet/dry filter. They just can keep nitrates and stuff which can harm coral. I ordered somethign like that from the Drs. a few years ago. I was very pleased with the rock. Can't wait for pics. And remember this hobby is for our fun and enjoyment. So have fun!

what kind of salt do you use MCReefer? i've been useing IO salt for a while and i'm not to happy with it..i just started with corals. is it ok to change from one brand to another?

I use Oceanic and Seachem. And yes you can change out. Just do not do a total water change but gradually start using the new salt. I think Bifferwine posted how to do it gradually.

cant wait for the pics " Long Island". Welcome to Living Reefs. these guys on here are great. lots of useful info and advice..got me out of plenty of jams.

Ok first can I say that the Premium Figi Rock from Dr. Foster's is amazing. They are on sale now and I suggest you pick some up!

Okay Pics.

The tank picture is the LP rock I put in yesterday.

The other two pics are how the Dr. Fosters Live Fiji 22 pound rock came shipped in newspaper. Little 'stinky' and full of sand.

I cleaned it out using a 5 gallon bucket and placed it directly in the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 690
Last edited:
Pictures of all the live rock:

Attachments

• IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 445
Ammonia Spiked instantly to .5 once I put the rock in.

I do not have the protein skimmer running.. Should I?

Attachments

• IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 463
I got a total of 6 pieces of rock in the 22 pounds that I bought. I will move them around tonight, check the water levels and report back.

The EHEIM comes with charcoal filter. I have that in place as well as the round rock filters. Is this okay?

Last edited:
Looks like your well on your way LongIsland.
HAve you had to open the windows in the house yet? When I started my old 55,I started with rock from the 2 docs also.The wife was ready to kill me when the smell got bad enough to cause us to open the windows.But it sure got the tank started cycling:D

Hi and welcome!
About the wet/dry, you can use it, but you have to be diligent about cleaning it very frequently. Otherwise it can lead to high nitrates.

It looks like your tank is just starting a full-on cycle. It's fine to run your filters and skimmer now. Please don't add any animals until the cycle is complete (ammonia and nitrite are both at zero).

This morning:

Wake up and the temp is 80.1. (I need that inline filter to come in the mail already. I didnt test the water, I will complete this every day at the same time.

Below is a pic of the tank with the LR moved around a bit (for now). Don't pay attention to the background; its a old piece laying around. I wanted to see what it looks like with a 'blue' background.

I dunno, I might get another 22 pounds of rock. Its a tall tank, there is a lot of empty space above the current setup.. thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 562
Last edited by a moderator:
Back