4 questions...

Mikek

Reefing newb
1) Everyone seems to be anti canister filter for reef tanks. I have a HOB and a canister at my disposal, should I just use the HOB?
2) Coral pic is of some giant zoanthid I got from my LFS, the hard coral came with it as it was "dead" and had become the base for the zo's. When I got it it was stark white except for one little brown area, the guy at the LFS suggested it might be coaxed back to life. Since I upgraded to a reef light it has regained significant color, and some texture, does this look like it is coming back?
3) The pic with the little white thing. Trying to figure out if it is just something significant, or just a piece of smooth rock.
4) The other night, while dark I noticed what looked like a tiny little tick like thing on the side of my tank, it was gone come morning, can't figure out what that might have been.

The last photo is just a wide shot of my tank as a whole...

Thanks for any and all feedback :D

Attachments

• 20130611_085634.jpg
    20130611_085634.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 292
  • 20130611_085659.jpg
    20130611_085659.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 262
  • 20130611_085624.jpg
    20130611_085624.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 260
I would not use a canister filter, they build trates unless you plan on cleaning every day. I use a 7 inch filter sock to collect my larger particals and i must clean it every other day. Once your tank is established with pods, i will be a pain in the ass to clean a canister filter and trying to save them.
The tick looking thing is probably a amphipod or copepod. Look up common hitchhickers on live rock and that should help.
The white stuff will not grow back. Once its dead that is it. Coral may grow on top of it but nothing more.
It looks like you have alot of smooth rocks!

I use my canister filter and I refuse to not use it BUT I dont use the media in it. Basicly in my canister filter is 2 bags, one filled with PhosGuard and one filled with Carbon. Does everything I need it to do.

The problem with canister filters is that they just trap debris, and then it rots down to nitrates, phosphates and other dissolved organics which are just washed right back out to the main tank to feed algae and create water quality issues that are detrimental to corals and inverts. Protein skimmers completely remove the debris from the system so that it can rot but not contaminate the water you want to be removing it from.

Back