40 Gallon Build

muffinman356

Reefing newb
I am rebuilding my tank and I started with the overflow first.

I am going to put plexiglass around the overflow, I got clear because the is the only thing that I found in stores is there any type of paint that I can used to paint it so I don't see the PVC.

Attachments

• IMG_20121218_172055.jpg
    IMG_20121218_172055.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 362
I wouldn't recommend using paint inside ur tank, U could try some a black aquarium background sheets and stick them to the overflow side with aquarium safe glue

Working on the stand

Attachments

• IMG_20130102_203117.jpg
    IMG_20130102_203117.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_20130105_164125.jpg
    IMG_20130105_164125.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_20130105_183037.jpg
    IMG_20130105_183037.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 366
Snooping the pictures .. is that a cabinet shop? soooo not fair.

Looking good... if you never found anything that wasn't clear for the overflow area.. just let the clear algae up, it won't be clear long...

Thanks buddy and poksal,

I just bought black for the overflow it made it a whole lot easier and i just used heat to bend the 90 degree.

Thanks buddy and poksal,

I just bought black for the overflow it made it a whole lot easier and i just used heat to bend the 90 degree.

yeah.. heat guns are required tools in my shop! You can do lots of projects with a few scraps of acrylic, a heat gun, saws, and drills.

I am at the point where I need to glue the PVC together and I was wondering if PVC cement will be toxic or not for fish. Also I know that there are many ways to cycle the tank, which way is the common or best?

i used regular pvc cement and havent seen any effects. If you let it cure for 24 hours, it should be fine since it is really only to hold the fittings together. Not even sure if water comes in contact with the cement if you consider how the fittings work (just dont swap the insides of the pipes unless its a coupling).

i used regular pvc cement and havent seen any effects. If you let it cure for 24 hours, it should be fine since it is really only to hold the fittings together. Not even sure if water comes in contact with the cement if you consider how the fittings work (just dont swap the insides of the pipes unless its a coupling).

Did you use purple primer?

Nope, not to say its not needed. To be honest, I really did not ask many questions or do much research when it came to assembling my plumbing. I did more research on the actual sump itself. But like I said, I havent had any ill effects from using regular pvc cement and my tank has been running 2 years now and has survived 2 moves so I think its safe to say, Im in the clear. Some one else who has been in the hobby longer may have more information regarding the primer and if it is needed or not. I do know that teflon tape is your best friend when it comes to threaded pieces. My pvc elbows have some salt creep and that could be the cause of not using primer but then again, every tank or LFS I have seen in person also had salt creep on its pipes so it may just come with the territory.

Back