5.5 Gal Nano Wennerae Mantis Tank!

Pwny

Reefing newb
uwpics3002.jpg

uwpics3001.jpg

55GalMantisTank.jpg

Ok so I decided to start a build thread for the nano mantis tank. I just ordered the baffels and they should be here in a week or 2. I whent ahead and build a cave for him uesing 1" pvc, I still might add a little to some of the tubeing to help hold up a arch i want to put across the tank. its going to be a slow build but here is the start of it!

so i was going to do a high par diy led setup for this tank but i was worryed it would be to much light for the shimp (ive read if the light is to high it can cause there shell to rot) so i got 1x ecoxotic Stunner LED Strip
8,000°K White/453nm Blue with a Reflector. Do yall think this would be ok for corals in this 5.5 gal? (i think the main chamber will be around 4.5 gal or so). also i got Caribbean Live Sand Fine Oolite Substrate 20 lbs since i was already makeing a foster n smith order i guess ill just store what I dont use. i think the last thing i need to get is a acrylic sheet to reinfore the floor of the tank and then order the rock when I get it all together. :) now i just have to wait like 2 weeks to get everything here ><

Ya just the shrimp and maby some high end zoa's if they like the LED's I got. I cant wait to have it set up and cycled so I can make my TBS order for it :P. But it should be a fun build for me.

You should, a Wennerae only needs 5.5 to 10 gal tank and they are Red - Cream - oor Lime Green depending on the light there under. the bigger ones need a 30 gal or so. a lot of peoplle that have em say the small one's are great to have on your desk or next to your computer (w/e you spend a lot of time near) because they will sit there and studdy you and in time when they think of you as bringer of food will come out and interact with you.

if your really interested check out this page it has a lot of good info on mantis shrimp Mantis....Shrimp Care! - Mantidforum

Actually the biggest hurdle is getting the ok from the roomates, but they might go for this one.

Those meanies already shot down a tank upgrade and some sort of fuzzy pet :(

BUT! i have secret weapon, the LFS has a small tank with one of them who will come out and "visit" and by "visit" i mean try to kill you, but im going to drag them over there this evening and show them. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

uwpics3.jpg

got the light today ima wait till i get the baffels in befor I mount it yall think it will be good for zoas with the reflector plate on it?

the part its going to light up is about 4.5 gal im not sure what the wat is on the led or the par for the led's 8000k white / 453nm blue mix. im hopein with the reflector it will be alright for zoas but idk 100%. if not it isent a huge deal tho :P

Back