5 stage RO/DI filter too much???

tp1011

Reefing newb
This ? may be to late but, I bought a 5 stage RO/DI unit from BRS for my 29 biocube so I don't have to buy it at my LFS.

My ? is is this over kill? I know you cant ever have to much filtered water

No defenetly not, What stages is it ??/

I currently have a 4 stage and im thinking of adding a aditional Di so i would have 2 DI stages in mine.

I got a 5 stage for my 29 gallon tank. Convinced my wife after I showed her the math. 5 bucks a week x 26 weeks is 130. The cost of the RO unit. I have paid for itself twice over by now... Even after a filter change :mrgreen:

I have a 4 stage rodi unit, but my basement isnt plumbed yet for a water drop. Ive never used it, i am kinda concerned about not using it, but the amount of water wasted on these things........ I couldnt imagine my water bill! I am really interested in what your water bill goes to. Please repost on your findings. :-)

I have a 4 stage rodi unit, but my basement isnt plumbed yet for a water drop. Ive never used it, i am kinda concerned about not using it, but the amount of water wasted on these things........ I couldnt imagine my water bill! I am really interested in what your water bill goes to. Please repost on your findings. :-)

I have a 5 stage for my 180 gallon tank, and I do 15% water changes once a week, plus about 10-15 gallons in water evaperation a week.

My quarterly water bill went up $16 after taking my unit off my well and putting it on my city water. Still much more economical than buying water from a LFS or a super market, where you never really know what your getting

The water wasted by the RO is infinitely cheaper than water from your LFS.

I have a 5-stage ($100) and hooked it up to my fridge as well so it makes ice and dispenses water. Saves me $40 filters for my fridge on top of my LFS water savings!

Sorry for jumping posts, i do agree with using them because they make for optimal water quality, on that note ive also have not had any issues ie algae growth, lack of coral growth, or death of fish. I do use city ro water at 116tds and the amount of water used is crazy 1g rodi to 5g of city water. I also am unsure of local water supplies nation wide, but in my little bum f*** town they charge as waste water too so you get doubled on it and they also run it with electric. I pay 160/month for this. My wife would swing her purse and really mess me up if i increase carring costs of my hobby. Thank you, i at least have a starting point

The water wasted by the RO is infinitely cheaper than water from your LFS.

I have a 5-stage ($100) and hooked it up to my fridge as well so it makes ice and dispenses water. Saves me $40 filters for my fridge on top of my LFS water savings!

Right..... I cant believe the price on frige filters. Common....... Great idea, i may claim that as my own:-)

I get charged the same way, per unit of water used plus a sewage and stormwater fee

After its all said and done, my quarterly bill increased $16. Your milage may vary, but its going to be cheaper than buying water for .50 a gallon

Utilities assume water going in is what's coming out. They have no way of metering your sewage so normally charge double for incoming water. You may be able to get an irrigation meter which you only pay for the water but it'd probably not be worth the hassle.

Well, it's not something you can cover up too well. Stealing water could be prosecuted. Ever seen Chinatown? lol

Back