55 gal sump, for 112-125 gal tank

Betty Anderson

Reefing newb
Can someone help me with equipment stocking our sump?
What equipment do we need?
What size equipment?
'Fuge in sump, or no 'Fuge? (I know the 'Fuge is a personal opinion, and not an actual need. I'm looking for different views and thoughts on the matter.)
Do I need a light for the sump?
We think we should have a sump since we will be having a good size biolode from our livestock, but do we actually need one? If not, can you tell us why we don't need one?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and we appreciate any info and education you can give us. Like everyone else, we have to start somewhere with questions.

I just did a DIY sump build for my 120g. I'm at work on my phone so im not sure how to add a link to my build. I think its still pretty close to the top in the DIY section. Sumps are nice due to the fact that you can hide just about everything in them under the tank and out of site (skimmer, heater, filter media, reactors...) Mine houses a 20g fuge for macro algae and pods. IMO you dont really need a light down there unless you have macros. They are a great place for extra liverock to handle your bioload without stuffing the tank.

Equipment list for my sump:
Skimmer
Heater
Purigen and carbon/phosban reactor- not always running
Return pump
50/50 mix live sand from tank and new sand (2 inches deep)
Liverock rubble (10-15lbs)
Ebay LED panel for when I add the macros next week (will run 8-10 hours opposite of DT)

Have room for the UV sterilizer I own but will probably not use, and room for extra filter pads or chem treatments in 2" bubble trap.

The bigger the better since it adds stability by increasing water volume. I would recommenda lighted fuge- a cheap Home Depot light works just fine. I have a ton of cheato and Rock rubble in my sump on an opposite light cycle from the display tank. I've never had to trim my cheato but nitrates have never been above 5 so something's gotta be working. Sound like you're on the right track, keep us posted!

Back