55 Gallon, a new adventure!

I'm done with fish for this tank for a while. And, I'm thinking about trading my black clown into my LFS for either some store credit or a bunch of CUC for my 55. Still up in the air about it, he was my first saltwater fish after all :\

Also, I haven't really added any, it's the same number since one of the chromis died. :(

Update : Brought both of the Damsels and the Chromis back to my LFS. Also brought the Black Clown back. 20 Lbs of Dry Rock from the LFS was there earlier so I picked it up, as well as a small piece of LR with the purple algae on it (Love the way it looks!). Pics coming once the rest of the rock gets here.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Remember take it slow and your tank will flourish! Good idea on the dry rock! Thats the best way to go and cheapest, that way you are not adding any pests to your tank :) what type of lights came with your tank?

Cheap LEDs, like 10 small rectangular strips with three lights per thing. They are nowhere near good enough for corals, but they do all right for just the fish and LR I suppose. the 75Lbs of dry rock still being shipped got delayed a day because of the storm, so should be here tmrw! Can't wait. Once it's all in the tank and set up, I'll post some pics. Got a decent one of the Diamond watchman that'll go up too.

Trying to find some inexpensive lights that'll fit my tank, any advice would be appreciated.:Cheers:

Yea I hate waiting for stuff to arrive. I'm impatient haha. You should start looking up different types of aqua scapes so you have kind of a plan in your head when you start to put the rocks in. What I do is figure out what type of scape I want (arches, caves, minimalistic etc) and then I like to epoxy and glue all my rocks together so I don't have to worry about them ever falling over or collapsing.

Just be sure to leave the back open to a buch of crap doesn't get stuck back there. Smitty has two powerheads behind his rock wall also to keep the water well circulated back there. I get a stick of epoxy that's a reddish maroon color from my lfs for $12.

For under $200, i think you are going to have to go with metal halides or LEDs. I would look on cragslist. Most fixtures new are going to more expensive than that.

Metal halides and T5 are awesome for growing corals, you just have to make sure you have enough light. A few bulbs wont cut it. The downside to them is that you have to replace the bulbs every year and they cost more to run. LEDs you dont have to do that, but they are more expensive. In general though, lighting is going be your most expense purchase.

Check this out: https://www.livingreefs.com/lighting-101-a-t41427.html

Thanks, i'll do some research at some pet stores around me to compare prices. I have a few months before I'm ready for coral anyway, so who knows, I may end up saving up for LEDs anyway. Appreciate the help. :)

Back