55 gallon equipment suggestions

Discussion in 'Fish Tanks' started by lilduud, Jun 26, 2010.

1. lilduud

lilduud

so im budgeting out my upgrade tank to start gathering materials and cash... buuuttt
    i know for sure i want a 55 just because of the dimensions and i have the placement all figured out.. i wil more than likely have a real stand for it and a sump system... but my questions are about any equipment suggestions... mainly light..
    i was looking at the 48" 4 bulb and 6 bulb systems and i know my coral would love me if i did the 6 bulb but do you think i could manage with the four... for 216 watts... i know thats just under 4 watts per gallon but do you think that would be alright.. theres a big price difference obviously hah any other recommended equipment would be great... open to any suggestions!

lilduud, Jun 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. lilduud

VAreef

For your lights you would be ok for many corals with the four bulb system. I would say though that if you can afford them you will never regret going with the better lighting. Just like you will never regret going with a bigger tank. But you gotta keep within the budget so 4 watts per gal of t-5 lighting would be fine for most corals. You should even be able to handle some sps with those.

VAreef, Jun 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. lilduud

reeffreak

Individual reflectors and the 4 bulb will do nicely.

reeffreak, Jun 26, 2010
  4. lilduud

Bifferwine I am a girl

The 4 bulb over a 55 will be fine. That's what I used over my old 55. I kept SPS, clams and an anemone, all of which are considered high light demanding.

Bifferwine, Jun 26, 2010
  5. lilduud

lilduud

yea i figured theyd do fine but i want them to thriiiivveee haha i love watchin em grow... i guess it all depends on how much i have in the end... ill buy the lights last :)

lilduud, Jun 26, 2010
  6. lilduud

Reefrookie Not so new anymore! VIP Member

After the tank, you might want to buy the lights first, knowing they will probably be the most expensive thing. Why buy a cheaper light now and then have to upgrade later. I would get the lights and then a good skimmer. The rest can be gotten as needed.

Reefrookie, Jun 26, 2010
  7. lilduud

lilduud

well if i get the four bulb i wont upgrade the lighting on the tank... it will come down to how much i have left to spend at the end...if i have a few extra hundred ill by the six bulb...
    as for my current set up with 2x24w... i have the oppurtunity to change to the wave point 4 bulb 24 inch which would double my light to almost 10 watts per gallon :D
    however my concern is that it will overheat my system as i already have 1-2 degree spikes toward the end of the day...both the lights i have now and the wavepoint 4 bulb are fanless and there for non-cooled.. any comments or suggestions?

lilduud, Jun 26, 2010
  8. lilduud

Reefrookie Not so new anymore! VIP Member

I would stick with the 4 bulb unit and spend the rest on other reef related things you will need

Reefrookie, Jun 27, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question