55 Gallon on second floor

AirBoyzT

Reefing newb
Probably a dumb question, but would I be ok setting my 55 gallon aquarium on my second floor in my "man cave"? I guess from a weight standpoint....

Personally I don't think you all have a problem based on the following : the weight per square foot is going to be equal to the total weight of the stand, + the tank + the water weight + whatever you put in there. 55 gallons of saltwater will weigh around 55 x 8.5 or 467.5 + 120 for the stand or now 587.5, add another 50 pounds for whatever else might influence the total weight and you have 637.5 pounds. To be safe let's call it 650 pounds. Now divide the 650 by the number of square feet that this weight is spread over and IMO that would be at least 12 square feet so your load per square foot would be 650 /12 or 54.1+ pounds per square foot. Since you weigh more than that and when you stand in your appt you take up about 1 sq. foot so you are actually putting more weight on that square foot than the tank ....

Hopefully that make sense and I have not confused you ...

But even looking past all that anything under 90G+ I wouldn't even be bothered worrying about. But what I would look into is insurance if for an example your tank busts open and creates water damage in that room and under you.

Note if you can find which way the joists are running it will help you out deciding the best location for your tank.

Kyle.

Last edited:
Makes perfect since, now if I could find an adapter to hook a garden hose to my shower head I'd be set for an RODI system. My faucet is a weird faucet, no way I can use it for RODI....someone is bound to know of an adapter for this...That would make water changes easy and I could store the water in my man cave and get the wife off my back.

I think a 55 or 75 would be fine. A 90 or above I would be more cautious with, but it would depend on how old the house was or how well it was constructed. For example, I live in the upper unit of a 100+ y.o two family house that was long ago converted to apartments. I wouldn't trust the floors to support my 90g tank, so I have it at work instead!

Take a pic of the faucet your using I may have an adapter for you. I have an extra one.

photo-8_zps0da8a6b2.jpg

thats what I have

growing up my dad had a 70 gal. 44 gal. 29 gal. 20 gal. and 2- 10 gal. set up on our house all in the same corner so you wont have any problems with a 55

Back