55g my first tank ever

shades251

Reefing newb
here are my first few pics of my new tank. i dont have much yet but im working on it

Attachments

• SANY0163.jpg
    SANY0163.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 507
  • SANY0162.jpg
    SANY0162.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 607
We all have to start somewhere.:)
You may want to remove that bubble stone/wand. They don't do anything in a saltwater system except spray salt creep all over the top.

Looks good! +1 on the bubble wand -- those are for freshwater, not saltwater. It is important to have powerheads to move the water around and oxygenate the water. Saltwater tanks need a lot of water movement, so you should get a couple if you don't have them already.

Looks like a good start. Looks like you have freshwater lights in there, do you know what kind, cuz if they are the pink ones I think you'll have tons of algae in there before you know it.

Thats a great start.:D
Your borderline low IMO for flow in there.I'd bump it up some.
As long as the sands not in suspension,you dont have to much flow.

Looks like a good start. Looks like you have freshwater lights in there, do you know what kind, cuz if they are the pink ones I think you'll have tons of algae in there before you know it.

+1 Nice start on the tank...May need to swap those lights out for more power especially if your keeping corals.

no coral not yet anyway...im thinking about setting up a smaller reef tank.....and i have been told many times i need new lights, i was thinking about buying a ballast from home depot get good bulbs and building custom mounts for the light does any one see this as a bad idea??

no coral not yet anyway...im thinking about setting up a smaller reef tank.....and i have been told many times i need new lights, i was thinking about buying a ballast from home depot get good bulbs and building custom mounts for the light does any one see this as a bad idea??

I'm not certain, but I don't think HD carries the necessary stuff to build lights strong enough for a reef tank...I could be totally off on this...Just have never heard of it.

big problem guys got the new rock in about to take pix for u guys and noticed i am being over run with aptasia i had a few before the new rock they were red but my pepermint have been slowly taking care of it now my new rock is COVERED is white ones. WHAT DO I DO???

You will either need to let the peppermint work its way, but if there are alot, look for a product called Apstasia X. You just shoot this stuff at them and they shrivle up. It will mostlikely take a while to get them all, but shouldnt be too bad.

As for the DIY lights, HD and other hardware stores tend to only carry equipment for t12s and t8s. You want t5HO bulbs if you are going the flourecent route. I would say 4 or 6 4 foot bulbs over your 55 would be good.

Check out 1000bulbs.com for your ballast and plug ends. You will spend less on them their than you would at HD.

Check out this site to figure out what ballast you need
Fulham - Ballasts and Lamps

The rocks came in heres the pics

Attachments

• SANY0166.jpg
    SANY0166.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 316
  • SANY0167.jpg
    SANY0167.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 309
  • SANY0168.jpg
    SANY0168.jpg