55g predatory tank advice

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
Hey all. My dad has been working on a tank of his own while I've been doing mine. He decided to go with a predator deal..has a lionfish already. Well, he's interested in getting another fish to go with his lion. He has two little damsels in there and an engineering goby. He kinda wants the damsels gone, but one is too quick and the other is just a little too big for the lionfish to eat, time will catch up with both of them though.

His issue is that he also wants to keep a few corals in there. All softies, mushrooms and xenia. Stuff like that.

He was looking at getting a triggerfish but had heard that they munch on corals.

Any suggestions for his tank?

55 is pretty small for an aggressive tank, and I'm pretty sure a lionfish would chomp on corals too.
Niger triggers are one of the more docile and common triggers out there, but I would still keep an eye on it if you were going to try mixing predators with corals.

+1 sloar a 55 is pretty small for almost if not all preditor fish. a lionfish will out grow that tank in less then a year if you feed it live food. But if your looking for somthing you mite try an eel. either the wolf eel which is an awsome color or a snowflake eel. get them when there really small you should be able to keep them for a couple of years. They mite eat your clean up crew though.:bowdown:

+1 on a 55 being small for a predator tank.
The lionfish will be fine with corals.But shrimp will be outta the question.A 55 is to small for any trigger IMO.
But a snowflake eel wouold be fine for a year or 2.

A 55 gal is too small for a trigger. I was also think and eel, or maybe a frog fish they are small preditory fish. I would think, but don't know if frog fish and lion fish are compatible. Anyone know if they would go good together?

Here's a link to a few.
Anglers & Frogfish

The lionfish gets along with anything. But he also will eat anything that fits in his mouth. I found that out the hard way:shock::frustrat:

Really?! I didn't think anything could eat the lion because of the poison and spines.

A frogfish will eat anything.They'll actually eat themselves to death if you let em.
We had a small frogfish at the store that ate a lionfish.Of course the frog died,but it still ate the lion,spines and all.

I've got a 13" snowflake in a 50g right now :) had him since he was about 8 inches... they make good lil fish as long as you have a lid up top... Kona (my eel) has found out he can push the lid up soooo i have to weight it down now... besides being escape artists they are pretty docile for the eel group. I'd stay away from wolfs... they grow more rapidly than the snows do and aren't as cute lol

Back